Easyjet Have Dropped Plans For An Isle Of Man Route

lfc84

According to press report in Isle of Man examiner Easyjet have dropped plans for an Isle of Man route.

No-go for EasyJet

03/10/05

3FM

EasyJet have pulled out of plans to operate to the Isle of Man.

The low cost airline had been in talks with the Government with a view to running a service between the Island and London.

It’s believed the budget carrier is concerned about the length of the runway at Ronaldsway airport.

http://www.isleofman.com/locallife/news/

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=1208921

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Complete non-news. Easyjet and the Island only ever existed together in the minds of those who think airlines are charities in disguise. It was never going to happen and the runway length is spin for what was always an uneconomical proposition.

Complete non-news. Easyjet and the Island only ever existed together in the minds of those who think airlines are charities in disguise. It was never going to happen and the runway length is spin for what was always an uneconomical proposition.

Seconded. You have read my thoughts!

Seconded. You have read my thoughts!

The runway length is the issue - its not spin.

Its not long enough to enable an easyJet Boeing 737 to operate with a commercially viable payload.

I was delighted when Easyjet launched their flight from Liverpool to Berlin, but I expected it to be a failure - after all how many people actually go to Berlin from Liverpool - not many I thought.

How wrong I was - I have been on that flight at least twice a month since it began, and it is always packed - not with scousers going to Berlin, but with Germans and Poles coming to Liverpool.

The future of air travel must inevitably follow the hub & spoke concept; there just wouldnt be the volume to justify point to point flights to european cities from Ronaldsway. All we really need are reasonable fares to Liverpool and London.

Without exception, my 20 minute Euromanx flight to Liverpool is always more expensive than my 2 hour Liverpool - Berlin flight. How sensible is that?

a bit of competition for the other airlines might have seen the rip off prices drop.

But the largest part of the cost of flights from the Isle of Man is tax.

Example

BA IOM - MAN

Fare £29.00

Tax £42.60

Total £71.60

(source ba.com)

Its good because 1 it wouldnt provide any new Manx jobs but could well threaten the existing Airline workers over here so a backwards step for the Manx economy

and 2 this Island cannot support more Airlines. Look at Euromanx, only this week due to not enough passengers flying they have had to shutdown a pile of routes, have made a pile of Pilots redundant and have bailed out of Winter Charters leaving a load of Tour operators in the sh1t.

An extremely basic example - 100 people fly to london with 2 Airlines lets say 50 each. The profit point for each Airline is 40pax.

So each Airline is making money on the route. Add in another airline and then you have 33 pax each. (yes i know this is basic but you get my drift.)

All 3 Airlines make a loss and pull the route.

So the pax crying out for cheaper flights then end up with no flight at all.

This island has more destinations and Airlines than any others and people are still whinging.

As for runway length.. thats gotta be rubbish. More like Easyjet wanted a subsidy to fly here.

Thanks, Spanna, for saving me the bother of explaining the primary school economics which many on this thread don't seem able to grasp.

lfc 84 - would you care to reproduce the 737 performance data which limits the Take Off Weight on any route Easy could possibly have contemplated operating off the Island? With bated breath........

Thanks, Spanna, for saving me the bother of explaining the primary school economics which many on this thread don't seem able to grasp.

lfc 84 - would you care to reproduce the 737 performance data which limits the Take Off Weight on any route Easy could possibly have contemplated operating off the Island? With bated breath........

whats the problem ?

Archived