KWC fees.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Chinahand said:

When people make wildly exaggerated claims the usual course of action is to correct them, not agree with them.

Well in that case I'll correct you. Charging VAT on private education is not the government restricting access to "better" education.

In the same post you went on to concede that private education here may well no be better at all and the fact is that it's already restricted to a vast majority of people. Removing the effective subsidy that those same people give (also without choice) to the very few who can afford private education would seem a logical and equitable move.

Education is, quite rightly, highly valued by society and a huge amount of public money is already spent on it. To waste more public money on a such a divisive, and inequitable form of education is a nonsense, pure and simple.

If you want your kids to go to a private school that very few can afford then I have no problem with that, good luck to you. Just don't expect the rest of us to subsidise it.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
I hate autocorrect
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Max Power said:

I quoted £8700 from another post which stated that is what it costs?

The cost of the education system divided by the number of pupils in that system gives you roughly that figure.

Adding one pupil doesn’t add £8700 to the cost. And, equally, removing one pupil from the system doesn’t save £8700.

The marginal cost either way of a single pupil is negligible.

As for the amount required to afford KWC fees, I don’t have huge overheads (no car finance, low interest rate on my mortgage, no fancy holidays, no debt) and couldn’t afford £2000 a month  extra on my household income. Maybe people who bought their houses 15 years ago for half what I paid for mine could.

People who can afford KWC fees- and people who can still afford KWC after the 25% increase in fees over the last three years- may feel squeezed. But they are certainly not the middle.

It is interesting that you aren’t so upset about KWC’s fee increases- £20k in 2021 to £25k in 2024- I have to say…

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The cost of the education system divided by the number of pupils in that system gives you roughly that figure.

Adding one pupil doesn’t add £8700 to the cost. And, equally, removing one pupil from the system doesn’t save £8700.

The marginal cost either way of a single pupil is negligible.

As for the amount required to afford KWC fees, I don’t have huge overheads (no car finance, low interest rate on my mortgage, no fancy holidays, no debt) and couldn’t afford £2000 a month  extra on my household income. Maybe people who bought their houses 15 years ago for half what I paid for mine could.

People who can afford KWC fees- and people who can still afford KWC after the 25% increase in fees over the last three years- may feel squeezed. But they are certainly not the middle.

It is interesting that you aren’t so upset about KWC’s fee increases- £20k in 2021 to £25k in 2024- I have to say…

It’s not KWC I’m interested in, it’s the principle of access to private education. Their fees are very high in comparison to similar UK institutions. This thread may be about them but it’s the whole communist plot which is annoying me!

Now, relate the same argument to a private school in Liverpool or Manchester say, what do you think will happen to pupils whose parents have scraped for their fees but are faced with returning them to the school system there?

• Like 1

These discussions are always enlightening though not always in the way the defenders of private education think they are.  But they're also missing the point that this is a decision already made.  This is a press release put out by IOMG at the start of the month:

VAT: Removal of VAT exemption for private school and boarding fees

Thursday, 1 August 2024

The Treasury advises that the VAT exemption for private school fees and boarding school fees will be removed with effect from 1 January 2025.

The UK Chancellor announced on the 29 July 2024 that with effect from 1 January 2025 all educational services and vocational training being supplied by private schools would no longer be exempt from VAT and instead will be subject to the standard rate of 20%.

Additionally, any fees invoiced or paid in advance relating to terms after 1 January 2025 will also be subject to the standard rate of VAT.

These changes may require private schools who are not currently VAT registered to make an application to register.  However, this is not required immediately following this announcement.  Further detailed guidance on how and when to register for VAT will be published in due course.

Draft legislation is currently in progress as, under the terms of the Customs and Excise Agreement 1979, we are required to keep the rules and procedures in relation to customs and excise duties in line with those in place in the United Kingdom. 

HMRC released the following policy paper brief on 29 July 2024.

Further detailed guidance and legislative updates will be published and provided in due course.

For general enquiries please email customs@gov.im or call +44 1624 648130 (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm).

42 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Is there anything to like about it?

Sure, there's lots of decent ideas in Communism. But you've read that the wrong way round. It's not that you dislike everythign about Communism that's the problem, it's that you automatically call anything you don't like Communist.

• Like 3

To be honest I don’t think that paying KWC fees is all about getting your children a better education.

My two went through the state system and were well served by it.

Going private does give you access to, if you like, a “ better” class of contact which will, may likely  give your children an advantage.

Plus of course you get access to a circle of people yourself,  which you think may enriches your social standing.

Thats not the politics of envy, it’s the way things are.

• Like 4