KWC fees.

25 minutes ago, Omobono said:

King Bills should stand on its own two feet  state schools are currently underfunded by government  if you want to give your child a private education  then you should be expected to pay for it , or are we going to see tax relief  on money spent on private education ? I hope not  some dastardly plan will be on the cards  just wait and see 

Well parents are saving the state money by not using local schools so tax relief on fees seems a sensible option.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well parents are saving the state money by not using local schools so tax relief on fees seems a sensible option.

We can't afford tax relief. 

The new political reality is that those with the broadest shoulders should bear the heavier burden.

That's where we are now. 

Let's be honest if you can afford King Bills you can afford the VAT. 

Everytime there is a proposal to make a cut or increase a charge there's always someone who cries out about it.. we can't stay on that track. Things have to change and that means dragging parts of society kicking and screaming into reality. 

Edited by Hairy Poppins
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well parents are saving the state money by not using local schools so tax relief on fees seems a sensible option

Tell me you don’t understand marginal costs without telling me you don’t understand marginal costs.

The rich kids going to KWC save the state precisely naff all.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I save the state money* by providing my own vehicle instead of taking public transport, would you support tax relief on my expenditure in the same way?

*I don’t actually save the state any money as the marginal cost is essentially zero, just like education.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Tell me you don’t understand marginal costs without telling me you don’t understand marginal costs.

An extra 300 or so pupils is not marginal cost, it would be substantially more than a share of the VAT take.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

An extra 300 or so pupils is not marginal cost, it would be substantially more than a share of the VAT take.

Are you suggesting KWC will actually close down and all day pupils will enter the state sector?

What has been the impact upon the school roll of the 15% fee rise over the past 3 years?

36 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Marginal when one child, not hundreds... At the margin could disproportionately affect some schools if class goes up from say 28 to 35 requiring splitting.

Just now, Meoir Shee said:

Are you suggesting KWC will actually close down and all day pupils will enter the state sector?

What has been the impact upon the school roll of the 15% fee rise over the past 3 years?

I don't think it's ridiculous to say this sort of thing could end KWC (in 10 years or so). They've been struggling for a while with attracting the same number of international pupils & local market is limited. As with any organisation there does come a point when viability is affected.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

That's beyond ridiculous. Your claim is that these parents, by sending their children to personally funded schools instead of the state-provided schools, are actually are saving the state real money. You have the wrong idea about why the state-funded schools were established, and why they are important to continue (i.e. they are NOT set up just to share the cost of education). You can almost never correctly guess how much of your taxes actually go to education (it’s actually a very tiny part of the total taxes). You are entirely wrong about how real costs work in such situations (you're dividing the total published school budget by the total number of enrolled students that year, and claiming that that’s how much it cost the state to educate one child….which is nonsense). And you think that the school’s expenses actually fall, the moment a child leaves the school to go elsewhere.

People who send their children to non-state schools do NOT save the state any money at all. Any more than it would save the state money on roads, if someone stopped driving on them every day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

The new political reality is that those with the broadest shoulders should bear the heavier burden.

Certainly, that is the rhetoric now being bandied in Westminster.

Over here can be a different matter and Alex and Treasury are probably working on something that is diametrically opposed....

"It's what we do"...

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Certainly, that is the rhetoric now being bandied in Westminster.

Over here can be a different matter and Alex and Treasury are probably working on something that is diametrically opposed....

"It's what we do"...

And look where that's got us so far. 

We'll no doubt come up with a Manx Solution for a Manx Problem™️ that actually does nothing to solve the issue, but will leave the taxpayers out of pocket. 

Rachel Reeves is going to come knocking and turn Alfie and Alex upside down to see what small change drops out. 

You can guarantee though that nobody in Treasury will be engaging with the new UK government to try and be proactive. They'll just announce it as a 'bombshell' when the UK budget is announced on 30th October. 

Having said that we have the same basic problem. We have too many people taking too much out and not enough people putting money back in. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

The most mid Management statement I’ve seen in a while - I’m guessing Senior Relationship Manager at retirement age in high street bank (probably RBSI) never an important decision made in a working life in cheap suits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2