KWC fees.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ah Howard Quayle and Alf Cannan.  Tim Johnston and Tim Glover.  Where would we be without those intellectual powerhouses?

Ah, you spotted the flaw in my argument there.

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Besides education, are there any other non-profit (by intent non-profit, rather than just incompetence) services that should be regarded as a charity and therefore not be taxed?

There's a hugely complex set of issues between the state, charity and for-profit sectors.

Hospitals, care homes, and schools all contain large charitable players and I think having the trade-off of being non-profit for tax exempt status is reasonable.

I've already said I think a better education system would be vouchers for all children and parent choice in a non-profit environment, applying such a radical approach elsewhere, who knows. When the state imposes itself unnecessarily there are many places where things could be done better. The state isn't a particularly caring organisation, there are lots of services where it fails where a charity could do better.

The trouble is it becomes economic micro-managing - think of HeliX's exempt "deservingly charitable school". Some bureaucrat has to write rules for all that to tax the non-deserving ones. I deny the distinction.

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:
28 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Again the statist mindset. Why wait for the state to do it?

Because the private sector doing it causes this:

If you set up such a school you'd find it very difficult to get the donations and grants to do what you aspire to do, and you'd have huge challenges covering the overheads. And what you'd quite quickly discover is that the best way to cover your costs is to create a good flexible school dedicated to educational excellence which attracts parents who then cover your overheads allowing you to provide the special services you want.

Very seriously what is wrong with that?

5 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Very seriously what is wrong with that?

It turns from an institution with the laudable goal of providing excellent education to those who will most benefit from it, to one that more or less exists solely to widen societal inequality.

I should probably correct you by the way, I'm not a statist. I am wary of the state and I would say I most align with syndicalism. But I'm also realistic and know that in our current situation, the state is best placed to provide certain functions.

30 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

KWC employs over 200 local staff. Many have had jobs for a lifetime there.

200 employees for a school with just over 300 kids?  Wow.  Ballakermeen would employ around a 1,000 people at that ratio.

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

Education is provided free of charge (to the user) by the state. That's about as non-coercive as the state can be about it. Private education is absolutely a luxury.

How is it free of charge , I pay taxes a proportion of which pays for schools which I don’t require. Assume you didn’t pay any taxes!

Just now, Banker said:

How is it free of charge , I pay taxes a proportion of which pays for schools which I don’t require. Assume you didn’t pay any taxes!

That's not how society works. We all pay for things that we don't require.

The meaning of free would be apparent to anyone but an idiot, which is presumably why you struggled.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

200 employees for a school with just over 300 kids?  Wow.  Ballakermeen would employ around a 1,000 people at that ratio.

These are the numbers quoted in 2024 publications 

King William's College and The Buchan School are situated in the Isle of Man and provide excellent teaching and friendly boarding in a beautiful and safe environment. As a community of more than 150 staff and 600 students, what we value above-all is being strong and friendly.

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yours was shite if you can't read the whole sentence.

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It turns from an institution with the laudable goal of providing excellent education to those who will most benefit from it, to one that more or less exists solely to widen societal inequality

KWC ... an institution that more or less exists solely to widen societal inequality?

Citizen fucking Smith.

It reminds me of a left wing academic, who reminded middle class parents that reading to their children widens societal inequality.

https://academic.oup.com/book/26717/chapter-abstract/195538409?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Teaching kids self confidence, social skills and providing them with a good education is a terrible thing isn't it.