KWC fees.

30 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Because of the ideas and contribution the well educated provide, obviously. 

The most important effect of technology … is not the minting of more millionaires, but the creation of a continual stream of new ideas and products that are quickly enjoyed by everyone.  … These ideas — not the scarce material resources required to make a tablet casing or to carry packets of information from place to place — constitute most of the value added to our lives by the gadgets in our hands.

Economic value is thus increasingly created not by material things but by the information that arranges the material. And information can be shared equally in ways that material goods simply cannot. As Thomas Jefferson famously put it, "He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me." In the information age, we enjoy ever-greater access to a common pool of ideas that generates more value and consumption for all, substantially tempering the effect of technology's differential boost to incomes.

This shift has important implications for our understanding of inequality. Material resources are zero-sum: Five different people cannot all own the same barrel of crude oil or the same hectare of land. … One barrel of crude cannot simultaneously heat thousands of homes and power millions of cars on different continents. Ideas and information, however, are radically different. An infinite number of people can access the same information and then use it in untold numbers of different applications all at the same time. And the accelerating pace of technological change drives down the costs of these information-based products — so far down indeed that some products (like many computer applications and a growing portion of online-education offerings) quickly become essentially free.

The fact that ideas can be shared equally in a way that material goods cannot, and the fact that technology increasingly makes ideas the drivers of our society and economy, means that our circumstances are more equal than the conventional income measures would suggest.

Now you're getting ridiculous.

So you believe we should give tax breaks to wealthy people for their children to attend KWC because we'll all benefit from the ideas and contribution they will make when they leave?

I think I've heard it all now. You're talking complete nonsense.

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Hard work is not exclusive to rich people. Many people work extremely hard, yet could not afford to privately educated their children.

No body said it was, it was in response to Helix who stated that only children of the fortunate go to KWC which is bollocks

Just now, Banker said:

No body said it was, it was in response to Helix who stated that only children of the fortunate go to KWC which is bollocks

It's an indisputable fact. Hard work may be a factor in some people's good fortune, but certainly not all, neither is it any guarantee.

Greed and self interest is often a factor too, is that something we should be promoting as a society?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

You've made it quite clear you think this policy is ok because you disagree with people choosing to educate their children as they wish

Do you actually think that's a fair representation of my comments or are you being a dick?

43 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's an indisputable fact. Hard work may be a factor in some people's good fortune, but certainly not all, neither is it any guarantee.

Greed and self interest is often a factor too, is that something we should be promoting as a society?

There’s greed and self interest every where eg fraudsters, or are you saying that only KWC parents have this affliction? 

7 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

@HeliX You've continually called it an unnecessary luxury that not only isn't a societal benefit but actively creates social division.  

That doesn't mean I don't support someone's right to decide how their child is educated (with the exception of homeschooling). If someone wants to educate their child via the state, private schooling, tuition, or a blend of all 3 is entirely up to them and I don't think that should be removed. I don't, however, think that tuition fees for private schools should be VAT exempt.

2 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

@HeliX You've continually called it an unnecessary luxury that not only isn't a societal benefit but actively creates social division.  

Of course it does. You claim it represents a choice in education, but it's a choice only a privileged few can make.

The only thing more socially devisive than that would be if we were all forced to subsidise it via taxation as you seem to think we should.

• Like 1