KWC fees.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Always been a school since it was opened in 1833, but it was also intended to be a local training school for CofE ministers - indeed that was the original purpose of Bishop Barrow's Trust in 1668.  I think that went on a bit in the 19th century, but in the end it became easier to send students away for theological training.  It may account for the rather churchy architecture.  But then a lot of public buildings from that time are like that - look at the Houses of Parliament.

It’s got more of the flavour of a work house/house of industry/lunatic asylum

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

And yet again we have a perfect example of the statist mindset. In his view everything is a gift of the taxing controlling state. Everything should be taxed and anything that isn't is a subsidy provided by state munificence.

Many of the parents are parents of borders. They don’t even live here so why should Mr & Mrs Chan who live in Shenzhen and who send their kid to board in the IOM at enormous cost have any form of VAT subsidy from the regular IOM taxpayer? KWC has a global market. If it can’t compete without a VAT subsidy then it needs to close. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Luker said:

Many of the parents are parents of borders. They don’t even live here so why should Mr & Mrs Chan who live in Shenzhen and who send their kid to board in the IOM at enormous cost have any form of VAT subsidy from the regular IOM taxpayer? KWC has a global market. If it can’t compete without a VAT subsidy then it needs to close. 

Most of the really posh/expensive Head(master)s Conference schools are passing on the VAT in full from fees due in January 2025.

Good selling point for KWC that they aren’t.

Bring on transfers from VoR’s Elton (sic) ( £63,500 a year from January ).

Although VoR’s later post, with link, brings up something even more insidious than fee paying private education, with, or without, VAT. Faith schools. Hopefully they’re in the cross hairs. No more state subsidy, selection of pupils based on which “god” the parents believe in, or which Friday, Saturday or Sunday social the parents attend, and religious indoctrination of pupils.

• Like 3

Been a little tree planting gone on on the Buchan site this year. Not loads, and mostly filling in gaps where mature trees have died. You'd get a lot of housing on that site, seems a bit odd to be planning a sale and planting trees.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Faith schools. Hopefully they’re in the cross hairs. No more state subsidy, selection of pupils based on which “god” the parents believe in, or which Friday, Saturday or Sunday social the parents attend, and religious indoctrination of pupils.

Definitely.

And if I ruled the world I’d be abolishing charitable status for churches, temples, synagogues, masjids, etc, tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Luker said:

Many of the parents are parents of borders. 

No they're not.  I've already linked the the entries from the Independent Schools Council (which I reckon will be the most accurate) a couple of times, but here they are again for KWC:

image.png.1d2b50322f9d5c9060b082c68e804580.png

and for the Buchan:

image.png.b39c636fa11c0a162b01604733d5e518.png

As you can see boarders only make up 49 of 324 (15%) in the senior school and none of the junior school (they stopped providing it some years ago due to lack of demand).   So clearly most parents will not be the parents of boarders.

To some extent this is at the root of the schools' problems.  Wealthy British parents living overseas now have many options of British-style exclusive education in English nearer where they live.  And rich foreign parents wanting prestigious British education for their kids (and KWC may have been going for that market by moving to the IB) have been deterred by Russian sanctions, Chinese economic slowdown,  and a generally unreliable approach to student visas.

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No they're not.  I've already linked the the entries from the Independent Schools Council (which I reckon will be the most accurate) a couple of times, but here they are again for KWC:

image.png.1d2b50322f9d5c9060b082c68e804580.png

and for the Buchan:

image.png.b39c636fa11c0a162b01604733d5e518.png

As you can see boarders only make up 49 of 324 (15%) in the senior school and none of the junior school (they stopped providing it some years ago due to lack of demand).   So clearly most parents will not be the parents of boarders.

To some extent this is at the root of the schools' problems.  Wealthy British parents living overseas now have many options of British-style exclusive education in English nearer where they live.  And rich foreign parents wanting prestigious British education for their kids (and KWC may have been going for that market by moving to the IB) have been deterred by Russian sanctions, Chinese economic slowdown,  and a generally unreliable approach to student visas.

49 is still quite a few when we're subbing them 20% VAT.

FWIW I think Chinahand is probably right about the tax on education thing, charging VAT on kids school sits pretty badly in my mind, even if it is obviously a luxury. Maybe people should support telling Starmer to fuck off, and in appreciation of such support they should chip in and pay local rates.

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

FWIW I think Chinahand is probably right about the tax on education thing, charging VAT on kids school sits pretty badly in my mind, even if it is obviously a luxury. Maybe people should support telling Starmer to fuck off, and in appreciation of such support they should chip in and pay local rates.

lobster is a luxury and too 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Most of the really posh/expensive Head(master)s Conference schools are passing on the VAT in full from fees due in January 2025.

Good selling point for KWC that they aren’t.

Bring on transfers from VoR’s Elton (sic) ( £63,500 a year from January ).

Although VoR’s later post, with link, brings up something even more insidious than fee paying private education, with, or without, VAT. Faith schools. Hopefully they’re in the cross hairs. No more state subsidy, selection of pupils based on which “god” the parents believe in, or which Friday, Saturday or Sunday social the parents attend, and religious indoctrination of pupils.

It’s actually TVOR, not VOR. Please don’t omit the definite article 😄

12 minutes ago, WTF said:

lobster is a luxury and too 

You don't pay VAT on a live one, but you do on a dressed one from the Manx Lobster.

Everyone should go get a lobster (or a crab if you'd prefer) from them btw, they're in Port St Mary, shop local.

Edit - https://www.themanxlobster.co.uk/

Edited by TheTeapot

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Well purely from my own experience John I’m not sure that’s right. I went to a C of E primary school and I don’t recall there being much of a religious flavour to it. 
My parents weren’t regularly church goers, if they went at all.
Once a week ( Thursdays if I remember correctly) we pupils went to a sort of service in the adjoining church.

The talks we had from the vicar wasn’t really a sermon it was more the “ just be nice to everyone “  Thats a fair enough message to send to kids ( or anyone) which didn’t really amount to any form of indoctrination. 

As I say that was just my experience others may have had different ones

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Insertion of “ pupils” in second para