KWC fees.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

49 is still quite a few when we're subbing them 20% VAT.

It seems to be typical of the “experts” on this forum. I said many parents. He says no it’s not many it’s probably 49! Well 49 is many people exactly as stated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well purely from my own experience John I’m not sure that’s right. I went to a C of E primary school and I don’t recall there being much of a religious flavour to it. 
My parents weren’t regularly church goers, if they went at all.
Once a week ( Thursdays if I remember correctly) we went to a sort of service in the adjoining church.

The talks we had from the vicar wasn’t really a sermon it was more the “ just be nice to everyone “  Thats a fair enough message to send to kids ( or anyone) which didn’t really amount to any form of indoctrination. 

As I say that was just my experience others may have had different ones

I also went to a CofE primary, and the religious content was going to the church across the road once a week, and at the end of term. 

However, that was nearly 60 years ago. Ive great nieces and nephews attending church primary school, and I’m a member of the old scholars association. I get regular updates. It’s much more overt now.

i don’t think there was much, if any, selection in my day. But there is now. And the funding has always been an issue. Church raises funds, Education Authority ( then ) and Dept of Ed now, has to match, and more, whatever that does to their budget or the needs of other pupils.

Here’s their “Mission Statement”.

Mission Statement

At xxxxxxxxx Church of England Primary School, we believe that God is at the centre of all we aim to do. It is our goal to ensure that all members of our school community are given the opportunity to get to know God and thank Him for His goodness to us. We are the village school and are at the heart of this village community, all members of this community are made welcome at our school because, it is our faith that:

“With God at the centre, we reach out to support each other in learning, growth and community.” 

As a reflection of our central Christian values, all of our children are placed in one of our school ‘House Teams’ with the names:

TRUST, HONOUR, RESPECT, COURAGE

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

"We are having positive discussions with the Isle of Man Government about the importance of maintaining independent education on the Island."

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/king-williams-college-to-absorb-vat-on-fees-after-labour-government-abolishes-tax-exemptions/

...so looks like they are looking for handouts...which means Joe Taxpayer wont see any benefit from the VAT increase and will lose out on a few £million.

Remember that when they put taxes up...which if you listen to Allinson's current mutterings about the UK, they are surely going to do at our next budget.

They do love a handout at KWC, see my earlier posts regarding their use of the Manx lottery funding. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I also went to a CofE primary, and the religious content was going to the church across the road once a week, and at the end of term. 

However, that was nearly 60 years ago. Ive great nieces and nephews attending church primary school, and I’m a member of the old scholars association. I get regular updates. It’s much more overt now.

i don’t think there was much, if any, selection in my day. But there is now. And the funding has always been an issue. Church raises funds, Education Authority ( then ) and Dept of Ed now, has to match, and more, whatever that does to their budget or the needs of other pupils.

Here’s their “Mission Statement”.

Mission Statement

At xxxxxxxxx Church of England Primary School, we believe that God is at the centre of all we aim to do. It is our goal to ensure that all members of our school community are given the opportunity to get to know God and thank Him for His goodness to us. We are the village school and are at the heart of this village community, all members of this community are made welcome at our school because, it is our faith that:

“With God at the centre, we reach out to support each other in learning, growth and community.” 

As a reflection of our central Christian values, all of our children are placed in one of our school ‘House Teams’ with the names:

TRUST, HONOUR, RESPECT, COURAGE

so much for being educated ??  more like being kept ignorant.

As long as they stick to the National Curriculum I don't have an objection to private religious schools. 

I have a huge objection to State religious schools. 

There is a very crucial difference. 

If parents want to pay for their children to be raised in a school with a standard curriculum but a religious ethos, then that is up to them. The state should only provide a secular non religious education with RS providing comparative religion and introducing the major religions and secular ethics. 

You want your religious ethos you pay for it, but also you stick to the national curriculum. You don't get to keep your kids in ignorance. That is the antithesis of education. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chinahand said:

As long as they stick to the National Curriculum I don't have an objection to private religious schools. 

I have a huge objection to State religious schools. 

There is a very crucial difference. 

If parents want to pay for their children to be raised in a school with a standard curriculum but a religious ethos, then that is up to them. The state should only provide a secular non religious education with RS providing comparative religion and introducing the major religions and secular ethics. 

You want your religious ethos you pay for it, but also you stick to the national curriculum. You don't get to keep your kids in ignorance. That is the antithesis of education. 

What’s your view on VAT on private religious school fees? 

• Haha 2

....but that's not the way some of the more fervent religious schools operate is it?

It could be regarded as a counter to the ''Christian '' first model required of our schools but it easily be regarded as an alternative to our base churchianity  model, as thought in conflict with out govts belief in how it should be done, I dont have a problem with that, except, if it's a  contrived situation to counter the status quo simply to counter the current model...........

Would seem to be a question the Depot of Ed have to answer???

13 hours ago, wrighty said:

What’s your view on VAT on private religious school fees? 

As long as they stick to the national curriculum no issues at all with them being exempt!

Tax rich people not education. Downsizing widower Grandads sell their family homes to pay for granddaughters to go to a school they think is best. Education should not be taxed. 

Edited by Chinahand
Clarity
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Chinahand said:

The state should only provide a secular non religious education with RS providing comparative religion and introducing the major religions and secular ethics. 

The 1998 Education Act requires all state schools to provide a daily act of worship (even if they just call it assembly) from  which parents can withdraw their children if they object. All state schools are required to teach RE. However it's presented state school are legally required to teach students about comparative religions. Church state schools are required to acknowledge the major festivals of other religions. Up until the late nineteenth century all schools were run by the major Church denominations or charities. When the state took them over the deal was that there would be bit of God bothering even if the state footed the bills. The Churches nominated some schools that had particularly close ties to local churches to be Church schools and offered to chip in 10% of capital costs in the future. 

I'm not sure what it is that's bothering you about Church schools. Mine attended one, as did I (St Thomas' in Douglas). I think the biggest single difference you would notice is that the schools are involved in their Church at Christmas and Easter, perhaps that the vicar does the odd 'assembly' and that RE lessons are called RE and not PSRE or whatever derivative of teaching children to respect themselves and others currently goes by.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

80 kids, c12 per class according to their website paying £3k pa, c£36k revenue per class, not quite sure how the numbers stack up, VAT or no VAT.

https://www.isc.co.uk/schools/england/staffordshire/stoke-on-trent/st-josephs-preparatory-school/

Presumably their overheads etc. would be considerably lower compared to KWC though, so may bear some comparison?

Edited by Lightening McQueen

Just now, Lightening McQueen said:

Presumably their overheads etc. would be considerably lower compared to KWC though, so may bare some comparison?

My error, fees are per term, staff costs per class must easily be north of £60k per class with on cost, then other overheads, I doubt they are breaking even, maybe the VAT rise is a somewhat convenient excuse?

• Like 1