KWC fees.

7 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think we have different pension freedoms anyway don't we, so probably not?

We do, however my pension is held with a UK provider possibly muddying the waters?

35 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So there's a difference between exempt and zero rated? I know you've explained the practical difference above, but I mean a difference between exempt and zero rated goods or services. 

Yes.  IIRC, exempt means you don't have to register, but you can't claim VAT back on purchases.  You are outside of the VAT  regime.

Zero rate is the rate of VAT applied to certain categories of sales by those businesses who are required to register, because they are not exempt and have crossed the turnover threshold for registration. They can claim VAT back on purchases, but not sure if it is all purchases.  There also may be some businesses who have a mix of zero rate and standard rate sales.  

It is hellishly complex. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Totally , I agree . Sadly I didn’t really get either due to illness in my teens and early 20’s. But from viewing sometimes from the inside there is  for sure advantages for both setups. Ohhhh , but you knew what I was  saying ,Right ? . Their , they’re, there ….its not life threatening but my illness was . 

How long have you had since?

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Mine's with Aviva but it's a Manx plan 

So is mine, but only a small proportion of it is in the Manx plan because that only came into being in the last 3 or 4 years.

17 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Are you sure, my Manx plan is from the 90s

Yep new policy came into being in the last few years new Manx policy number starts with MF existing funds weren't transferred into it.

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yep new policy came into being in the last few years new Manx policy number starts with MF existing funds weren't transferred into it.

can you get them moved over             ?

The Labour policy is not detailed at the mo. It could be that the educational portion of the fee is Vat'able and the food and accomodation part is not??? Or vise versa?

Highly likely that the educational part will be taxed as there is a 'perception' that a public school education will lead to higher salary in later life? Just like University education!

Not a lot of deductables in school catering? Chocolate and ice cream??? Tho KBs do outside catering, wine etc, VAT charged means they must have VAT registration to benefit from the input? Tho this could be kept separate from the educational side?

There are Bursaries available but it's highly likely that the majority of  fee paying parents will suck up the the 10-15% increase?

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

I know lots of their inputs, wages as an example, aren’t subject to VAT and therefore there’s no input tax to set off against on fees, but lots of inputs, the minibus, building works, equipment, furniture, heat, light, power have input tax, which can be set off.

Might work for a new setup where they have to buy all that stuff at the outset, but surely they own all that stuff already. They can't claim retrospectively. Isn't half the point with KWC that it's like Hogwarts and everything is oldy worldy. I'm surprised they don't have a horse drawn carriage for their School bus.