KWC fees.

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Might work for a new setup where they have to buy all that stuff at the outset, but surely they own all that stuff already. They can't claim retrospectively. Isn't half the point with KWC that it's like Hogwarts and everything is oldy worldy. I'm surprised they don't have a horse drawn carriage for their School bus. 

They extend, repair, replace, buildings, equipment, furniture, transport, continuously.

57 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Might work for a new setup where they have to buy all that stuff at the outset, but surely they own all that stuff already. They can't claim retrospectively. Isn't half the point with KWC that it's like Hogwarts and everything is oldy worldy. I'm surprised they don't have a horse drawn carriage for their School bus. 

The only old-fashioned things when I was there were the mattresses and some of the masters.

15 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I haven't heard that IOM Government is planning to put VAT on public school fees.

Charities are exempt from rates though.

I suspect IOM will do it as part of the UK/IOM VAT agreement. 

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

They extend, repair, replace, buildings, equipment, furniture, transport, continuously.

Take it you’ve not been there for a while. The place is a fckn dump, Junior house is a building full of dirty mattresses, old used school equipment, (plenty of projectors), doors, chairs and any old crock you can find. The building itself should be condemned, then you have the main school, windows needed replacing 30years ago, go round the back by the ‘plastic’ footy pitch and see where your £30k a term gets spent? It’s not on the buildings that’s for sure. 
a quite magnificent building(s) lacking in investment and rotting away. That’s the IoM progress for you, I’m sure the old alumni would be horrified. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I haven't heard that IOM Government is planning to put VAT on public school fees.

Charities are exempt from rates though.

Well according to the IOM government when the hospitality sector were asking for tax breaks, they have no option but to follow the UK regarding VAT.

I guess we'll find out how true that is now their posh mates are potentially affected.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

How can it be a charity, its a business charging for services.

It qualifies under one of the definitions of a charity.  Lots of charities charge for their services.  The difference is that there are no 'owners/investors' to whom surplus profits are paid. 

You've got to question the modern definition of charity though. Is saving posh kids from being educated alongside the hoi polloi really a charitable endeavour?

I can kind of see how football clubs etc can be viewed as charities, and that even traditional charities are big businesses these days, but I think KWC is pushing it a bit.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Gizo said:

Take it you’ve not been there for a while. The place is a fckn dump, Junior house is a building full of dirty mattresses, old used school equipment, (plenty of projectors), doors, chairs and any old crock you can find. The building itself should be condemned, then you have the main school, windows needed replacing 30years ago, go round the back by the ‘plastic’ footy pitch and see where your £30k a term gets spent? It’s not on the buildings that’s for sure. 
a quite magnificent building(s) lacking in investment and rotting away. That’s the IoM progress for you, I’m sure the old alumni would be horrified. 

Not sure what this sad mess has to do with 'IoM progress', it's the typical behaviour of a business that is drifting towards its death.  They will get a cash boost when the Buchan site is sold to Hartford Homes for a tidy sum, but the skills of the trustees seem lacking so they will no doubt flush it down the toilet.

Edited by Boo Gay'n
typo