KWC fees.

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

It qualifies under one of the definitions of a charity.  Lots of charities charge for their services.  The difference is that there are no 'owners/investors' to whom surplus profits are paid. 

It was the word 'frequent'...in terms of lottery grants that I found interesting- when no doubt there are a large queue of organisations seeking such - and thus I would not expect such grants to be frequent. 

• Like 2

Boarding schools did well when Britain sent service families and colonial administrators to foreign postings, and these boys made up 75% of the pupil body, with the remaining 25% being day boys. There is no longer this demand, so they went first to flogging a public school education to foreign students, then encouraged more day boys, then accepted girls. As demand from off-island declines, I'm not sure there is sufficient on-island demand to sustain their business, even with the side-hustles in catering, letting accommodation in the holidays and so on. It remains a pull for attracting some families to re-locate here and so it gets some discreet subvention in terms of scholarship funding, but the future doesn't look that positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

You've got to question the modern definition of charity though. Is saving posh kids from being educated alongside the hoi polloi really a charitable endeavour?

I can kind of see how football clubs etc can be viewed as charities, and that even traditional charities are big businesses these days, but I think KWC is pushing it a bit.

I agree, but education has been a head of the definition of charity for eons.  There are many charities which state education (not just in the schooling sense, but in promoting the general public understanding of a particular issue) as one of their aims.  

That many fee paying schools are charities perhaps does point to elitism as only those who can afford the fees get there, although many do offer scholarships. 

The main issue is that as a charity, all funds should be used in furthering the charitable objective, ie no-one gets the profits, although many will also say the staff are rewarded beyond those in equivalent posts in state schools. 

It is a tricky one, but KWC is in no way unique. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Boarding schools did well when Britain sent service families and colonial administrators to foreign postings, and these boys made up 75% of the pupil body, with the remaining 25% being day boys. There is no longer this demand, so they went first to flogging a public school education to foreign students, then encouraged more day boys, then accepted girls. As demand from off-island declines, I'm not sure there is sufficient on-island demand to sustain their business, even with the side-hustles in catering, letting accommodation in the holidays and so on. It remains a pull for attracting some families to re-locate here and so it gets some discreet subvention in terms of scholarship funding, but the future doesn't look that positive.

Subvention for scholarships, is that true? 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Subvention for scholarships, is that true? 

There used to be, but they were dropped 30 years ago. Don’t think they’ve been re-introduced

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Not sure what this sad mess has to do with 'IoM progress', it's the typical behaviour of a business that is drifting towards its death.  They will get a cash boost when the Buchan site is sold to Hartford Homes for a tidy sum, but the skills of the trustees seem lacking so they will no down flush it down the toilet.

With a bit of luck some one could stick registered building status on it.  😁

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It was the word 'frequent'...in terms of lottery grants that I found interesting- when no doubt there are a large queue of organisations seeking such - and thus I would not expect such grants to be frequent. 

https://kwc.im/manx-lottery-trust-and-friends-of-kwc-provide-lift-for-kings-court-theatre/

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/private-school-theatre-gets-lottery-money-552346

It's almost as if one of the trustees attended the school...maybe more than one

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

There used to be, but they were dropped 30 years ago. Don’t think they’ve been re-introduced

Formally, yes, but pupils have been 'assisted' in 'exceptional circumstances' since then, one at least to avoid the risk of legal action against the DESC.

5 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

As demand from off-island declines, I'm not sure there is sufficient on-island demand to sustain their business

Hasn't there been quite a large overseas contribution, especially from the Orient, or has that dried up?

7 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

You've got to question the modern definition of charity though. Is saving posh kids from being educated alongside the hoi polloi really a charitable endeavour?

I can kind of see how football clubs etc can be viewed as charities, and that even traditional charities are big businesses these days, but I think KWC is pushing it a bit.

Pushing it a lot I would suggest

• Like 1