KWC fees.

49 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Hasn't there been quite a large overseas contribution, especially from the Orient, or has that dried up?

Maybe. . ..  but that big scutch of Chinese Banks must be due to arrive any day now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It was the word 'frequent'...in terms of lottery grants that I found interesting- when no doubt there are a large queue of organisations seeking such - and thus I would not expect such grants to be frequent. 

Its an unsubstantiated allegation made by someone on the forum so hardly factual. The lottery guys publish their stuff

https://www.mlt.org.im/about-us/grants-awarded/

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

Its an unsubstantiated allegation made by someone on the forum so hardly factual. The lottery guys publish their stuff

It's true though.  From the 2023 Annual Report:

image.thumb.png.3d630099e3c7b2eed3d382fbd6766dbc.png

Also listed in the 2022 Report without an amount (though not 2021 when activity was low for obvious reasons).  All Annual Reports via here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, piebaps said:

I did post links to previous grants so it's hardly unsubstantiated.

Also Ralph Peake is on the board who happened to attend KWC.

I wonder what else he is up to for the benefit of KWC....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61607702

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

Hasn't there been quite a large overseas contribution, especially from the Orient, or has that dried up?

Still is.  I was on a plane back to the IOM a few months ago and there must have been about 15 Asian kids on there that all got picked up by a KWC Minibus (not the expected horse drawn carriage).

• Thanks 1

So what we have, ostensibly, is another good ole Manx "establishment" existing on handouts of public wonga...?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Still is.  I was on a plane back to the IOM a few months ago and there must have been about 15 Asian kids on there that all got picked up by a KWC Minibus (not the expected horse drawn carriage).

Less than there was I think.  They made the decision to switch to the International Baccalaureate for most of their exams to attract students from outside the British Isles[1], and it seems to work for a while, but I think it's been declining a while and Covid, the economic problems in China and sanctions against Russia all seem to have hit them quite hard.  And people in Asia etc can now often get the same sort of education cheaper, nearer to home.

The current ISC entry shows 324 pupils, but only 49 are boarders, which means they will be relying mostly on the local market.  And we know the number of pupils in the relevant age group will be declining, so that market is shrinking as well.

[1]  It also meant they could avoid all those pesky A-level success tables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

I did post links to previous grants so it's hardly unsubstantiated.

Also Ralph Peake is on the board who happened to attend KWC.

I wonder what else he is up to for the benefit of KWC....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61607702

Maybe one of our visiting journos might pick up on this...and dig a bit deeper.

42 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Maybe one of our visiting journos might pick up on this...and dig a bit deeper.

Why would it be a story? Charity receives charitable funds - its a blockbuster.

If you think it shouldn't be a charity then collect your evidence and present it to the AG Chambers. Social media mudslinging never solves anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Why would it be a story? Charity receives charitable funds - its a blockbuster.

If you think it shouldn't be a charity then collect your evidence and present it to the AG Chambers. Social media mudslinging never solves anything.

The number of grants.