KWC fees.

14 hours ago, 2bees said:

There are a lot of children at KWC who do not fit the state education remit, their parents "beg and borrow" to send their children there, they're the "squeezed middle", don't earn enough for it not to be a problem but also earn too much for a bursary to be their golden ticket. Don't be so mean, they deserve your consideration.

The comments about the cars make me laugh, I've got a mum bus (a Ford) you see me rollin'... with those Merc's, Audi's and Ranger Rovers, in my black Ford... We do our best for our children and if a state education isn't working, KWC is the only other option, I did homeschool one to the end of primary, but I know naff all about secondary education techniques or the complexity of learning and the intricacy of the high school curriculum.

I hope KWC weathers the storm and will still be around to offer an alternative. Where else would you like to see the grants going? 

I admire your decision to send your children to KWC.  Personally I would prefer to see the grants being used for grassroots charities, not for a school making £10,000,000 per year.

51 minutes ago, Twitch said:

£8700 apparently for secondary. £8600 for primary.

Which is almost double the 20% VAT that the UK Govt is proposing to charge on the school fees, assuming we use £20k as an example annual fee.  So basically this tax raising exercise will cost the Govt more to educate the kids that Private School Parents were already paying for. 

27 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Which is almost double the 20% VAT that the UK Govt is proposing to charge on the school fees, assuming we use £20k as an example annual fee.  So basically this tax raising exercise will cost the Govt more to educate the kids that Private School Parents were already paying for. 

Only if all the private schools close and the children enter the state sector, which is unlikely.

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

But that assumes that adding VAT will cause everyone to remove their kids from private schools and put them into state ones.  In practice few of them will, I suspect.  It may cause some schools at the margin of viability to go under, but that happens all the time anyway, and always has.

(What I suspect we will be will be the immediate development of schemes where parent can then claim back the VAT.  There already all sorts of ways of subsidising public school fees through various arrangements).

31 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Not sure it's quite that simple. I guess the £8k figure is calculated by taking the full cost of running a school and dividing it by the number of pupils. A few more pupils are not going to add significantly to that cost.

Even if it was that simple, if charging VAT causes 1 in 5 to leave KWC and join a state school, then the government would be no worse off.

Posted (edited)

I know it's not usually a consideration on the IOM, with our tax cap and minimum wagers paying top rate of income tax, however an equitable society should also be a consideration.

It's bad enough that a two tier education system exists here, with the (potentially) upper tier only available to those who can afford it. It's far worse that the rest of us are subsidising it. 

Although never considered by our government, there's got to be some value in doing the right thing and increasing equality, regardless of whether we're going to make buckets full of money from it.

Edited by A fool and his money.....

56 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Surely that figure is an average, an extra pupil will not cost anywhere near that figure at the margin.

Just now, La Colombe said:

Fucking Hell. No wonder you hate teachers so much. 

Treatment for kids with Inherited Paranoid Delusion involving teachers, postal workers and other public sector employees is expensive....

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not sure it's quite that simple. I guess the £8k figure is calculated by taking the full cost of running a school and dividing it by the number of pupils. A few more pupils are not going to add significantly to that cost.

Even if it was that simple, if charging VAT causes 1 in 5 to leave KWC and join a state school, then the government would be no worse off.

Probably not so much of a problem here.  There are only 320 students - so 1/5 would be 64. 

According to MR there are 400 less students overall this year in school.   So you'd think these could easily be swallowed.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/almost-400-fewer-pupils-in-islands-schools-this-year/#:~:text=Figures published by the education,with 5%2C832 in secondary schools.

More of a problem in the UK I'd imagine. 

Although wasn't some MHK claiming the schools were already at capacity and Alf's Grand Plan would push them over the edge?  At the same time there are 400 less students. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:48 PM, Meoir Shee said:

Banker is your man, he is the resident expert on both KWC and education in general, he’ll have all the finer details.

3 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Fucking Hell. No wonder you hate teachers so much. 

I did warn you……😉

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to my previous link:

King William's College fees:
Boarding fees per term:
£9,642 to £13,863

Day fees per term:
£6,782 to £8,998

Scholarships & bursaries:
Available

Pretty average -

my old school (no boarding now) charges: