KWC fees.

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Did the KWC teachers work harder during lockdown?

Well actually yes they did, online lessons were available for all and it was mandatory to attend them plus normal homework etc, unlike state schools where most of the teachers & pupils did fuck all and the pupils who have fallen behind with education are suffering.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well actually yes they did, online lessons were available for all and it was mandatory to attend them plus normal homework etc, unlike state schools where most of the teachers & pupils did fuck all and the pupils who have fallen behind with education are suffering.

That's just made up bollocks. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not sure it's quite that simple. I guess the £8k figure is calculated by taking the full cost of running a school and dividing it by the number of pupils. A few more pupils are not going to add significantly to that cost.

Even if it was that simple, if charging VAT causes 1 in 5 to leave KWC and join a state school, then the government would be no worse off.

In reality, if the full 20% is passed on to parents, those with kids in the current system will likely just suck it up. The issue will be future intakes. My children attend KWC and I will not move my children mid education, but to be honest if I was starting again with the current fee structure plus an extra 20%, there is a reasonable chance that I would not send them. The management know this and as such I personally think that the increase, if it indeed happens over here, will not be applied to fees but absorbed elsewhere.

I do not think that the school is in any short term danger, and hopefully survives long into the future, but if the fees were to rise by a fifth, I would be very worried about it's long term sustainability. This would be a great shame as the island needs a good private offering.

As a place to live, we as an island are in competition with other jurisdictions and we rightly sell ourselves on being a good place to raise a family. Family's, including mine, moved and invested here as opposed to other jurisdictions based upon many factors, one of which was educational choice. KWC parents pay taxes towards state schools like everyone else and then do not take up any additional resource from the state sector, whilst also paying a small fortune in the process. That was our choice, and we are very fortunate to have had the option, but if KWC hadn't existed maybe some family's would chose to live and invest elsewhere, which surely would not be beneficial to the island. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

In reality, if the full 20% is passed on to parents, those with kids in the current system will likely just suck it up. The issue will be future intakes. My children attend KWC and I will not move my children mid education, but to be honest if I was starting again with the current fee structure plus an extra 20%, there is a reasonable chance that I would not send them. The management know this and as such I personally think that the increase, if it indeed happens over here, will not be applied to fees but absorbed elsewhere.

I do not think that the school is in any short term danger, and hopefully survives long into the future, but if the fees were to rise by a fifth, I would be very worried about it's long term sustainability. This would be a great shame as the island needs a good private offering.

As a place to live, we as an island are in competition with other jurisdictions and we rightly sell ourselves on being a good place to raise a family. Family's, including mine, moved and invested here as opposed to other jurisdictions based upon many factors, one of which was educational choice. KWC parents pay taxes towards state schools like everyone else and then do not take up any additional resource from the state sector, whilst also paying a small fortune in the process. That was our choice, and we are very fortunate to have had the option, but if KWC hadn't existed maybe some family's would chose to live and invest elsewhere, which surely would not be beneficial to the island. 

Exactly right which is what the haters of private education both here and in UK can’t seem to grasp

10 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I was offered the option to go to KWC at 11 years old - absolutely not.

School on a Saturday and no Football - ridiculous institution..............

One of my primary school teachers sent both of her lads to KWC...they rejoined St Ninians at 16...both as thick as toast compared to the others in their class...both failed a lot of exams.

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

One of my primary school teachers sent both of her lads to KWC...they rejoined St Ninians at 16...both as thick as toast compared to the others in their class...both failed a lot of exams.

that's genetics for you , they say those that can't do teach.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Why do you keep on making up this nonsense? Are you aware it makes you a figure of fun?

3 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Why do you keep on making up this nonsense? Are you aware it makes you a figure of fun?

My kids were at HBN during lockdown, one in Year 1 and the other in Year 4. Both did pretty close to fuck all in terms of input from the school, so mostly did IXL and other online stuff which we researched and paid for. Their Luddite teachers who were unprepared and unwilling to work around lockdown conditions have since left the school. Other kids in other classes with other teachers fared better. 

People who send their children to KWC are not short of a penny or two. If there is a price increase, and they have to economise, they will only have one skiing holiday instead of two.

They also would not want a future Chief Minister having to be educated with the riff-raff, and would be prepared to pay extra to avoid that.

And if they did send their children to to a local school, there would be the parking problem during school runs. Do all the schools have enough parking space for a row of Rolls Royces?

5 minutes ago, germann said:

My kids were at HBN during lockdown, one in Year 1 and the other in Year 4. Both did pretty close to fuck all in terms of input from the school, so mostly did IXL and other online stuff which we researched and paid for. Their Luddite teachers who were unprepared and unwilling to work around lockdown conditions have since left the school. Other kids in other classes with other teachers fared better. 

The state schools had problems because of lack of suitable IT systems (DESC / GTS problems), non-existent training for on-line provision, and the number of kids without suitable equipment at home - all identified in the report. They could have been better, with proper training, investment and infrastructure, and kids with tech-savvy teachers were more fortunate. Spending per pupil to catch up is roughly 20% of what European countries gave.

2 hours ago, WTF said:

that's genetics for you , they say those that can't do teach.

GBS wrote it in Maxims for Revolutionists. He also wrote: If you strike a child, take care that you strike it in anger, even at the risk of maiming it for life. A blow in cold blood neither can nor should be forgiven. So perhaps he was trying harder to be witty than serious. 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Exactly right which is what the haters of private education both here and in UK can’t seem to grasp

I'm not convinced that throwing money at attracting more and more people here is the holy grail that it's made out to be. What happens when they retire (if they're not one of the 35%that bugger off once the sweeteners run out)?

I think it would be more sustainable to cut our cloth to what we already have. Stop employing public servants on movie star wages, stop across the board percentage pay rises and make retirement benefits for government employees more realistic.