Population growth

Bill1977

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-mans-population-grew-by-just-461-people-in-two-years-as-breakdown-revealed-711656

Don’t bother with expanding the population, we can barely service our current populous as it is. Do we really want mass immigration? Leave the IoM as an under the radar ‘for those who know’ kind of location.

Growth needs to come developing the IOM as an outdoor pursuits, organic produce and eco friendly type of place with a finance sector to keep things ticking over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-mans-population-grew-by-just-461-people-in-two-years-as-breakdown-revealed-711656

Don’t bother with expanding the population, we can barely service our current populous as it is. Do we really want mass immigration? Leave the IoM as an under the radar ‘for those who know’ kind of location.

Growth needs to come developing the IOM as an outdoor pursuits, organic produce and eco friendly type of place with a finance sector to keep things ticking over.

Now it becomes clear. -

"Alfred Cannan administration’s economic strategy is an ambition to create 5,000 new jobs by 2032"

That's Govt jobs yeah?  Does the private sector get a chance to create new jobs?  Or does Govt create those for us?

900 in 2 years isn't too bad really if we want to increase the population.  The problem is we had 500 more deaths than births, which brings the total down. 

I can't decide if the last bit on the % leaving, is by IOMToday or Govt - 

"Of those who relocated to the island as either new or returning residents, about 45% will have left after 10 years, 35% will have left after five years, and 20% will have left after two years."

That totals 100%.  So all of them will have left after 10 years? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Now it becomes clear. -

"Alfred Cannan administration’s economic strategy is an ambition to create 5,000 new jobs by 2032"

That's Govt jobs yeah?  Does the private sector get a chance to create new jobs?  Or does Govt create those for us?

900 in 2 years isn't too bad really if we want to increase the population.  The problem is we had 500 more deaths than births, which brings the total down. 

"Of those who relocated to the island as either new or returning residents, about 45% will have left after 10 years, 35% will have left after five years, and 20% will have left after two years."

the smart ones don't come here in the first place,

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Now it becomes clear. -

Poor wording as usual. Likely to be 20% gone in 2 years, another 15% by 5 years, and another 10% by 10 years. 

I'd be more interested in an "Outward Migration Incentives & Disincentives" report.

The government should be growing the population in terms of local training, skills, job types...not forcing the young to leave and be replaced by trained and untrained foreigners (and I include Britons in that).

The guts of the Island's community are being ripped out and our young are being financially and opportunity cleansed from the island.

Let's see what the next census says is the result of this irresponsible policy...aimed solely at keeping this bloated spendthrift of a joke government in clover to the detriment of the Manx people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I'd be more interested in an "Outward Migration Incentives & Disincentives" report.

The government should be growing the population in terms of local training, skills, job types...not forcing the young to leave and be replaced by trained and untrained foreigners (and I include Britons in that).

The guts of the Island's community are being ripped out and our young are being financially and opportunity cleansed from the island.

Let's see what the next census says is the result of this irresponsible policy...aimed solely at keeping this bloated spendthrift of a joke government in clover to the detriment of the Manx people.

What do you think would be good training avenues?

22 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I don't have any confidence that the last census was accurate, remember all the issues they had?