Population growth

Bill1977

26 minutes ago, NoTail said:

The IOM Bank hasn't got any bankers. Go in and look around. 

On the rare occasions I visit the branch I arrange a meeting with the personal banker. Bankers have less and less interaction with their customers which id why so many have been let go.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Harry Lamb said:

On the rare occasions I visit the branch I arrange a meeting with the personal banker. Bankers have less and less interaction with their customers which id why so many have been let go.

I think Conister Bank may be filling the space left by IOM Bank. You can speak to real people there.

• Like 2

I said there was some extra information in this latest report regarding what was happening with population changes on the Island and one of the more striking is this graphic:

image.png.d7ed4eb75161537c9d1c94daca0bd4ec.png

EC stands for Entry Clearance and you can see how dramatically this has changed since 2019 from around 300 a year to around 1100 last year.  Indeed we know that this is causing problems with delays to visas and passports.

Now the report tries to justify this rise by saying:

The below table highlights the increase in Worker Migrant Entry Clearance approvals since 2019, which is understood to be at least partly due to Brexit, as now EU nationals must obtain a visa to live and work in the Isle of Man. Whilst the number of solely Worker Migrant visas issued decreased slightly in 2022-2023, this was offset by the larger number of Health & Care visas issued.

There's a nice example of 'weasel words' here in the "which is understood".  Because that may be what is understood, but it isn't really true.  Because while new EU (I think technically EEA) citizens arriving for jobs may have needed visas from January 2021 onwards, those here will have already sorted out their paperwork before then.  And we know that EEA citizens only make up a tiny proportion of these entry clearances because we have figures from elsewhere.

In April Julie Edge askedHow many work visas have been issued since October 2021 by broken down by a) category of visa, b) nationality, c) salary, d) public or private sector and e) role within that sector and got a helpful answer that gave a lot of information which covered most of the period of that graphic, most especially the two full years of 2022 and 23.  In total there were 2200 broken down by nationality.  And only 73 of these were EU plus Switzerland.  So that is only 3% of the total and hardly explains the enormous increase in visa number

Edited by Roger Mexico
Correction
  • Thanks 1

So you will be asking exactly where do all these extra people come from, if they're not from the EU.  Well I've taken the data and produced a table for you, because of course I have.  I've not listed all 95 of the the nationalities involved, just those where there were 10 or more:

Filipino 453
Chinese 339
South African 326
Indian 149
Ghanaian 103
Nigerian 82
Pakistani 69
Zimbabwean 53
Indonesian 51
Kenyan 51
Turkish 45
Malaysian 40
American 30
Jamaican 23
Brazilian 21
Bangladeshi 20
Algerian 18
Ugandan 16
Israeli 14
Japanese 14
Bulgarian 13
Australian 12
Canadian 12
Polish 12
Taiwanese 12
Egyptian 11
Edited by Roger Mexico
Correction
  • Thanks 3

so now you know  why  when you are sitting in the Doctors or Dentists its like sitting in the united nations , 

what would really be interesting to see  is a graph of all the quailty white collar workers who have left the Isle of Man 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Omobono said:

so now you know  why  when you are sitting in the Doctors or Dentists its like sitting in the united nations , 

Bit xenophobic. And anyway, it isn't. And I should know, because I've been to both my GP and my dentist in the past fortnight. 

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

Bit xenophobic. And anyway, it isn't. And I should know, because I've been to both my GP and my dentist in the past fortnight. 

I wouldn’t care if my GP or dentist was from Mars, Saturn or Venus. No xenophobia here.

Presumably your appointments that you had in the last fortnight were booked months in advance?

If not how did you manage to get those slots? There are those of us who would love to know.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Presumably your appointments that you had in the last fortnight were booked months in advance?

If not how did you manage to get those slots? There are those of us who would love to know.

The dentist was a regular check up so yeah, 3-ish months in advance. I phoned my GP and got an appointment for within 5 working days which was fine. Quite simple really. 

20 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

So you will be asking exactly where do all these extra people come from, if they're not from the EU.  Well I've taken the data and produced a table for you, because of course I have.  I've not listed all 95 of the the nationalities involved, just those where there were 10 or more.

Source?