Population growth

Bill1977

Now the Tynwald links should be operational again, I'll return to what some questions tell us about population changes.  First a correction.  I'd assumed that the discrepancy between the figures in the April Written Question regarding  "all work visas issued from 01/10/2021 to 19/04/2024" was due to one of the nationality figures being mistyped so that the total added to 2200 rather than the 2100 given in the previous table.  But it turns out the 2100 was wrong because the Treasury can't add up a column of figures.

That table was considering the various types of work visas issued in the period.  I've summarised them in a table:

Entry Clear Further LTR Indef LTR Total
Business Migrant – Innovator 54 6   60
Business Migrant - Start Up 9 1   10
Rep of Overseas Business 8     8
Tier 1 Entrepreneur 1 14 7 22
Tier 1 (Investor)   1   1
Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) 18     18
UK Ancestry 31 2 15 48
Worker (ICT) Migrant 238 70   308
Worker (Seasonal) Migrant 258     258
Worker Migrant 612 352 97 1061
Worker Migrant - Health 310 92 4 406
Total 1539 538 123 2200

LTR is Leave to Remain.  Of the 2200, 1539 were new people coming here, 538 were already here and want to stay longer, while 123 want to stay.  About 10% are in the first seven categories, investors and the like (though whether the DfE are any better at separating the foreign geniuses from the bullshitters than they are with the Brits is another issue).  But the rest are what you might call ordinary workers.  And it's clear the number are massively on the increase over the last few years.

• Thanks 4