Ice Cream Wars

Harry Lamb

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

You’ve totally misunderstood.

The exclusivity deal for ice cream at the Royal is between Davisons and the show organisers, Royal Manx Agricultural Society, which isn’t the government.

OK John, thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. Appreciate that.

Hopefully this sort of stuff won’t be repeated in future years and all the relevant parties make it clear what the deal is.

The deal seems  quite clear, Davisons paid for an exclusive right to sell Ice Cream with the private enterprise who organise the 'Show', the Defa didn't read the clauses, let a competitor onto their site ans 'whhoooops'.

This was despite Galatory knowing the situation regards 'exclusivity' and trying, perhaps, to sneak in the back door????

None of the participants are to blame, they each tried to do what they thought was best, for the Dept or the individual business.

....and finally, it's just ice cream, if you want one, go to the stall selling it!!! Heed the Health Dept warnings about this type of food and feast your face and your Kids faces on this frivolity? After all, if you want to stuff your kids with 'fat' there will probably be Candy Floss or fried do-nut stalls!!!!

Me, I'm just going for the sweet Piccalilly jars!!!!

Edited by Kopek

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Instead they posted shit on Facebook about how it’s “not how I’d do business” and that it’s some sort of massive conspiracy led by Davisons because they’re scared of competition.

tbf they probably are, Gelatory is a significantly better product.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Hopefully this sort of stuff won’t be repeated in future years and all the relevant parties make it clear what the deal is.

It's clearly only happened because of the cancellation of the Food Festival, which only happened on 21 June and the alternatives offered to disgruntled exhibitors would have been even more recent.  It's clear that Gelatory weren't exhibiting in the DEFA tent before that and presumably the problem would have been flagged up earlier if everything hadn't been so rushed.

It's also worth making the point that there's a difference between exhibiting and retail selling.  If Gelatory had just been handing out free samples and taking orders, that would be one thing.  But if they hoped to be able to operate a full operation, selling the full range of products then that would clearly infringe Davidson's agreement, just as if they had turned up in an ice-cream van and started driving all over the showground.  And if nothing else the queues would get in the way of other exhibitors hoping to do business in the DEFA tent.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Get name right

12 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

I think we are missing the point here. DEFA have messed up due to a dearth of civil servants. We need many more to prevent future oversights like this.

Agreed. We need more who can read. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The deal seems  quite clear, Davisons paid for an exclusive right to sell Ice Cream with the private enterprise who organise the 'Show', the Defa didn't read the clauses, let a competitor onto their site ans 'whhoooops'.

This was despite Galatory knowing the situation regards 'exclusivity' and trying, perhaps, to sneak in the back door???

According to the IOM today article, the exclusivity issue was first raised by Gelatory, twice, and they were assured it was in hand. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-ice-cream-producer-told-he-cant-attend-royal-manx-show-just-days-before-event-711857

Everything DEFA touches, turns to shit. 

Every interaction I have with them at work, shows their lack of professionalism.

This all goes back to their awful decision to cancel the popular food festival. Still, at least we've got lots of carbon officers now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

If Ian Davison is reading this I will still support you and buy your delicious rum and raisin ice cream and the chocolate and vanilla ones for the visiting children.

Too busy sharing Enoch Powell quotes to read any of this I reckon.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2