Ice Cream Wars

Harry Lamb

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Well yes, because the only public comment has been Gelatory throwing their toys out of the pram. And lots and lots of people posting vicious comments on Facebook about Davisons.

I agree the vicious comments are uncalled for, but did the Gelatory name Davisons?

I think if I were in their position then I'd be a bit pissed too with the short notice.

There's someone harping on on Facebook about Gelatory knowing about the contract, because it came up 9 years ago. Never mind that a few posts down is the Gelatory's 6th birthday. Maths is hard if you're angry on the web.

But, if we look at face value, Gelatory have been screwed over by DEFA. I imagine, like any business, they'll have ploughed a load of effort into ingredients and prep for the show.

Someone pointed out on Facebook they were listed as a vendor on the Royal Manx website too, but it looks like that has now been removed. Which means it wasn't a surprise to the Royal Manx organisers either.

The issue clearly isn't the exclusivity or any vendor the exclusivity is with, it's the rug being pulled at the last minute.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I agree the vicious comments are uncalled for, but did the Gelatory name Davisons?

They did the usual mealy-mouthed thing of “oh an unnamed sponsor/vendor”, but yes, they basically did refer to Davisons. The show doesn’t have many sponsors and only one of them is an ice cream vendor.

Gelatory then went on a massive rant about how that isn’t how they would conduct business- implying that Davison’s have behaved underhandedly- and how competition is a good thing and how terribly unfair it all is. They’re offering a “freedom to flourish” giveaway as a needlessly sarcastic and aggressive response to it all.

And then there were 500 comments all banging on about how it’s a conspiracy and corrupt and how they’ll boycott Davisons and how Davisons are scum for trying to attack a competitor.

DEFA’s apology makes it pretty clear they sold something they didn’t have the power to sell.

32 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The issue clearly isn't the exclusivity or any vendor the exclusivity is with, it's the rug being pulled at the last minute.

I think that’s a rather generous interpretation of what Gelatory actually posted on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/100063809100150/posts/pfbid0E2vR9dXYfSDscRqfWbEk32R8TUXMgtE4pUrUAixX7aWft7igVx2kvWjAP573u3LLl/?app=fbl

image.thumb.png.607ee372a1589e4dbf336d8cd68d9eee.png 

How dare an organisation pay good money for an exclusivity agreement and then expect that agreement to be honoured (!)

3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Whilst not knowing any of the facts I would suggest that Mr Dorling of the Gelatory might have genetically inherited a similar amount of"spurious gobshiteyness" as his father of Costa notoriety.

Oh it's that Dorling...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There must be rum n raisen why it all got confused. Flakey excuses I think. Mr Whippying up . Somebody is on the twister

And they have a mint choc chip on their shoulder. 

Seriously. You can kind of understand the Government in whatever guise wanting to maximise their revenue.

But are they charging more than twice as much for one exclusive pitch as they would for one non exclusive pitch?

Even if they did is it morally right to do so given this is the Govt and they should be considering factors other than strictly commercial ones.

And is it worth incurring the wrath of the Facebook mob and the attendant brouhaha and ill will.

37 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

image.thumb.png.607ee372a1589e4dbf336d8cd68d9eee.png 

How dare an organisation pay good money for an exclusivity agreement and then expect that agreement to be honoured (!)

'Ice Cream Megacorp' are obviously entitled to act commercially, in their interests, as any other company are, but that does not mean it is not anticompetitive and likely to 'irk' people.

It's similar to Okells selling off pubs with the covenants (until recently when the laws changed to specifically target this) - perfectly legal, within the rights of the organisation to protect their commercial interests, but still draws the public's ire.

Or Shoprite sitting on potential competitor sites, and lodging objections to competitor's developments. 

Acting anti-competitively (as with exclusivity agreements) may well be within their rights but always attracts negative publicity, so I don't think 'Ice Cream Megacorp' should be too surprised to be receiving this attention. 

Edit :  To be clear I 100% think this is DEFA's mess and the cancelling of the Food and Drink Festival so late on was horribly managed, with a reasonable negative impact on local food businesses.

Edited by Mercenary

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Shit behaviour from defa for several reasons. 

Now potatoes! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/free-potatoes-protest-at-royal-manx-show/

Who'd have thought the Agricultural show would be such a hotbed of dissatisfaction?

Remarkably it just seems anything Govt related is just getting shitter and shitter. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, english zloty said:

not DEFAs fault but we will apologise anyway?

"the Department was aware that due to an exclusivity agreement between the Royal Manx Agricultural Show and a sponsor, it would not be possible to exhibit or sell ice cream or gelato without prior approval from the organising committee"

The documentation existed, but maybe someone did not bother to read the small print until it was too late.

32 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Now potatoes! 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/free-potatoes-protest-at-royal-manx-show/

Who'd have thought the Agricultural show would be such a hotbed of dissatisfaction?

Remarkably it just seems anything Govt related is just getting shitter and shitter. 

Well, when the chips are down ..

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I think that’s a rather generous interpretation of what Gelatory actually posted on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/100063809100150/posts/pfbid0E2vR9dXYfSDscRqfWbEk32R8TUXMgtE4pUrUAixX7aWft7igVx2kvWjAP573u3LLl/?app=fbl

You're missing the preamble of that. Isn't context wonderful?

I’d love for us to attend the Royal Show to showcase our Gelato and up until Tuesday of this week we were planning on being amongst a number of other brilliant Manx Food Producers in the DEFA marquee at the event. Given the cancellation of the food and drink festival (an event we were very excited to be a part of) we were informed that DEFA with their marquee would have a greater presence & showcase at The Royal to which they invited producers to exhibit at to make up for the cancellation of the food and drink festival.
Sadly despite originally being told we were able to attend, on Tuesday Afternoon I was informed by DEFA on the day before we were due to set up (and after already doing a lot of prep for the event) that we now weren’t allowed to attend because of an exclusivity / sponsorship agreement the show has with a vendor.

Given that they've kicked up no fuss in previous years, where they presumably couldn't attend too, why would they throw their toys out now at any particular vendor?

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

DEFA’s apology makes it pretty clear they sold something they didn’t have the power to sell.

How would you feel in this position? You'd be right to think that if a government body had offered you something, they had it on the table to offer. The issue doesn't even seem to be the retraction, it's the retraction at the eleventh hour.

It's not even just about the extra materials, an event takes equipment, staffing etc. too.