Ice Cream Wars

Harry Lamb

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But are they charging more than twice as much for one exclusive pitch as they would for one non exclusive pitch?

You’ve totally misunderstood.

The exclusivity deal for ice cream at the Royal is between Davisons and the show organisers, Royal Manx Agricultural Society, which isn’t the government.

DEFA have a tent on the show field. They probably pay to have it there, to the show organisers. A term of having it there will be not to compete with other stall holders who have exclusivity.

DEFA screwed up the Food Festival at the Villa and, as a sop to Manx food manufacturers offered space in their tent to allow producers to exhibit and sell their wares.

DEFA invited Gelatory to exhibit/sell in the DEFA tent. That was something they couldn’t do, without breaching the terms of their tent pitching agreement or Davisons exclusivity deal.

Of course, Gelatory could have negotiated an exclusivity deal, if they’d offered enough. Of course government shouldn’t have screwed up, twice. I’ve no doubt Gelatory would have known of the exclusivity deal ( Davisons have had it for a few years ). I’m not saying they were trying it on when they applied to go in the DEFA tent..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

How would you feel in this position? You'd be right to think that if a government body had offered you something, they had it on the table to offer.

I’d be angry at DEFA who sold me something that wasn’t theirs to sell. Putting DEFA on blast would be fair enough.

Instead they posted shit on Facebook about how it’s “not how I’d do business” and that it’s some sort of massive conspiracy led by Davisons because they’re scared of competition. That post last night on Facebook was pathetic.

It’s not the first time Gelatory have made snarky comments about Davison’s either.

The fact the owner is *that* Dorling certainly explains a few things.

33 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’d be angry at DEFA who sold me something that wasn’t theirs to sell. Putting DEFA on blast would be fair enough.

Instead they posted shit on Facebook about how it’s “not how I’d do business” and that it’s some sort of massive conspiracy led by Davisons because they’re scared of competition. That post last night on Facebook was pathetic.

It’s not the first time Gelatory have made snarky comments about Davison’s either.

The fact the owner is *that* Dorling certainly explains a few things.

You'd complain too if you had crushed nuts

6 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Whilst not knowing any of the facts I would suggest that Mr Dorling of the Gelatory might have genetically inherited a similar amount of"spurious gobshiteyness" as his father of Costa notoriety.

I did not know this. Another establishment I’ll never set foot in. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Who'd have thought the Agricultural show would be such a hotbed of dissatisfaction?

Yeah, "farmers" and "complaining" - words you never see in the same sentence. 

This was inevitable when Tesco took over.  For all their talk about selling local, in the end Tesco is a large bureaucracy based off-Island and buying supplies locally and selling them here is always going to be more trouble than just plugging into existing supply chains.  I was told that at one stage even local cheeses had to be shipped off the Island to central warehouses (Warrington?) so they could then be shipped back over.  It's the way these systems work.

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Did you not see the beef that Manx Moos and Davisons had on Facebook? That certainly wasn’t one sided. 

What is it about ice cream sellers that make them so aggressive and combative?  Maybe they should switch to selling something less likely to lead to arguments.  Like drugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Manx Moos Facebook comment:

https://www.facebook.com/people/Manx-Moos/61551672292416/

is just a repetition what is stated elsewhere - that there should have been an exhibition of various produce from various manufacturers, but exclusive contracts were allowed to get in the way.

As well as the comments about the D of Something screwing up a food festival, one might also question if the DoS should be involved in an event where exclusivity can be bought.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

You’ve totally misunderstood.

The exclusivity deal for ice cream at the Royal is between Davisons and the show organisers, Royal Manx Agricultural Society, which isn’t the government.

DEFA have a tent on the show field. They probably pay to have it there, to the show organisers. A term of having it there will be not to compete with other stall holders who have exclusivity.

DEFA screwed up the Food Festival at the Villa and, as a sop to Manx food manufacturers offered space in their tent to allow producers to exhibit and sell their wares.

DEFA invited Gelatory to exhibit/sell in the DEFA tent. That was something they couldn’t do, without breaching the terms of their tent pitching agreement or Davisons exclusivity deal.

Of course, Gelatory could have negotiated an exclusivity deal, if they’d offered enough. Of course government shouldn’t have screwed up, twice. I’ve no doubt Gelatory would have known of the exclusivity deal ( Davisons have had it for a few years ). I’m not saying they were trying it on when they applied to go in the DEFA tent..

Some good points JW

I think though that Davison's could have been more magnumanimous and grown a pair of screwballs and let the competition in.

Sorry about the puns. I just can't help myself.

The point is serious though.