North Barrule Three Legs

Non-Believer

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/rN9sahJo3edWM7856

There is a 1,000 year old precedent. 

Isn't it strange that in a whole thousand years, no-one else has bothered doing something similar on the same hillside.

Perhaps it's because Shake me up Judy and the other people claiming the three legs would set a precedent are really just miserable bastards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Did he not criminally damage the boulders by painting them white in the first place, or deface public property ie graffiti the boulders. Did he have an assessment of what the paint would do to the inviroment or if it was organic, has anybody seen the impact statement he must of produced. Here we go H&S nightmare, phone the woke brigade 😇

58 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Did he not criminally damage the boulders by painting them white in the first place, or deface public property ie graffiti the boulders. Did he have an assessment of what the paint would do to the inviroment or if it was organic, has anybody seen the impact statement he must of produced. Here we go H&S nightmare, phone the woke brigade 😇

The land is owned by Manx utilities. He did it without permission. He was ordered to cease. I believe Defa decided the best course was to leave the whole thing to go back to nature in it's own time. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The land is owned by Manx utilities. He did it without permission. He was ordered to cease. I believe Defa decided the best course was to leave the whole thing to go back to nature in it's own time. 

Are you sure it is owned by Manx Utilities? I think it more likely that they may lease some uplands rather than own them.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that, ultimately, IOM Government owned all land owned by government...Manx Utilities, DEFA etc. are just controlling entities that could literally dissappear overnight in any desired restructuring of government.

Some people think that any open space should have an "art installation" placed on it. I think that sometimes natural beauty (which is not necessarily a euphemism) should be left untouched.

If you want a 3-legs of man on the hillside, there will also be people who think that a Manchester United flag would be appropriate, or something equally tasteless.

At various times farmers have created a legs of man in their fields, presumably by mowing. That is interesting, and it is not long-lasting.

There is a trend now to have murals painted on just about every vertical surface. Some I think are good, but at some point it becomes rather overbearing.

But I like this one.

20240704_133749-resized.jpg.149c0f9fc8a64c43b7d9edd7c4bcda4f.jpg

27 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If you want a 3-legs of man on the hillside, there will also be people who think that a Manchester United flag would be appropriate, or something equally tasteless.

I sure there are. I'm even more sure that they won't do anything about it. This setting a precedent bollocks really is complete nonsense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Isn't it strange that in a whole thousand years, no-one else has bothered doing something similar on the same hillside.

Perhaps it's because Shake me up Judy and the other people claiming the three legs would set a precedent are really just miserable bastards.

It is a matter of taste. The people bleating on about it being an important national symbol and part of our culture seems to be a lot of the same people whose Manxness and national identity amounts to nothing more than the three legs of Mann. You can see the three legs so many other places and people can even paint one on their living room wall (and probably think that looks nice) but it doesn't look particularly attractive on the hill.  It is not terrible but better that is good. Though it's a shame to read that it is just re-painted.

9 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

It is a matter of taste. The people bleating on about it being an important national symbol and part of our culture seems to be a lot of the same people whose Manxness and national identity amounts to nothing more than the three legs of Mann. You can see the three legs so many other places and people can even paint one on their living room wall (and probably think that looks nice) but it doesn't look particularly attractive on the hill.  It is not terrible but better that is good. Though it's a shame to read that it is just re-painted.

Very aloof post questioning people's national identity.

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I was under the impression that, ultimately, IOM Government owned all land owned by government...Manx Utilities, DEFA etc. are just controlling entities that could literally dissappear overnight in any desired restructuring of government.

Someone would know better than me about the legality. I always thought that statutory boards owned things. They are inturn owned by government. However the deed and title would belong to the statutory board. 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Some people think that any open space should have an "art installation" placed on it. I think that sometimes natural beauty (which is not necessarily a euphemism) should be left untouched.

At various times farmers have created a legs of man in their fields, presumably by mowing. That is interesting, and it is not long-lasting.

There is a trend now to have murals painted on just about every vertical surface. Some I think are good, but at some point it becomes rather overbearing.

But I like this one.

20240704_133749-resized.jpg.149c0f9fc8a64c43b7d9edd7c4bcda4f.jpg

Bit like the new sea wall in Douglas. I'm not sure why it needs artwork on it.