North Barrule Three Legs

Non-Believer

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I have to say that I haven't heard of any levels of hate towards the 3 legs around the Jewel of the North, most people appear to be used to its presence by now.

[...] I don't think as much of it was painted white originally anyway, 3 leg "enthusiasts" started adding to that after it was constructed if my memory serves me.

There was clearly a fair bit of opposition from those who felt the hillside should be left as it was.  If you look at the responses on the (withdrawn) planning application I linked to, there were some who weren't happy.

It was Callister himself who painted it I think (or him and mates) after the original reorganisation of the stones didn't stand out as much as he hoped.  Certainly he did the planning application to do so.

51 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To be fair there is a lot of work being done on footpaths and ROW.  

Only after a lot of nagging, dedicated Tynwald Committees and the like though.  The only way of working the DoI seems to understand is "let things fall into complete decay and then spend a lot of money redoing them from scratch".   Which doesn't really work for footpaths.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

To be fair there is a lot of work being done on footpaths and ROW.  

There is. Been astonished to find a couple of routes being cleared that have been blocked for years. Someone's really got their finger out in government. Incredible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CATHYJAY said:

For what it's worth I loved standing on my balcony and seeing this sign on the mountain. I mean its the national emblem.  What's wrong with that?

Nothing.  Couldn't see anything wrong with it really.  Was there any damage or environmental impact?  Did it mar the view? The only issue, possibly, would be if the stones were painted white and the potential if something nasty leaking into the environment,  but that's OK as they are now painted with a different colour. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CATHYJAY said:

For what it's worth I loved standing on my balcony and seeing this sign on the mountain. I mean its the national emblem.  What's wrong with that?

balcony eh ?? posh git.  😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CATHYJAY said:

It just reduces the beauty of the hillside.  It is one of the grander views on the island looking south to that hill.  It's not pretty. In other places, such as on Lhergydhoo, years ago, it was much better because the hillside wasn't that picturesque itself.
It's not that bad though and I do worry about the consequences of it being re-painted given the comments on Facebook. There seems to be a lot of rage, mourning and conspiracies about evil motives of the Government/Commissioners.  Rioting and revolution not far away.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

There is now, although many of them remain impossible.

I think the point is the growing season shouldn't catch them by surprise and require public pressure to get them to do something.

The growing season affects all paths and we have thousands of km but not hundreds of staff on hand, people who complain that all of them are not clear are as thick as Neil Down.