North Barrule Three Legs

Non-Believer

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. But you cant put it up the the air. That would be incredibly dangerous. For hedges, you use a hedge trimmer. The clue is in the title. Not sure what point you are trying to make. Whatever you do its hard work and takes a long time.....especially clearing up the mess.

Brambles and nettles are the worst thing. The grow like crazy in late spring and early summer. Very difficult to keep up with.

Long handled short petrol bladed hedge trimmer, adjustable strimmer. 1 man. Can cover miles in a day. A chap had done the entire section from Port e Vullen to Maughold one morning last summer when I passed him. No clean up needed, just left and rots away. 2 or 3 people dedicated to this would be fine if kept on top of. Also bear in mind some sections are not under DoI remit and are looked after by landowners.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Long handled short petrol bladed hedge trimmer, adjustable strimmer. 1 man. Can cover miles in a day. A chap had done the entire section from Port e Vullen to Maughold one morning last summer when I passed him. No clean up needed, just left and rots away. 2 or 3 people dedicated to this would be fine if kept on top of. Also bear in mind some sections are not under DoI remit and are looked after by landowners.

How would you force the landowners to do their sections. There is nothing in it for them. 

Miles in a day. I'm not convinced by that. They were doing the short section from marine drive to port sidekick last year. Took them 2 days to do about 400m and it looked like bloody hard work .

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There is 316kms. The rapid growth is April to July (depending upon the weather). No pint doing it before it's happened to that means June start. It's possible but saying 1 or 2 persons is just foolish. You can't trim hedgerows with a strimmer. Add in the fact that you can't cut back hedgerows from April to end September (wildlife act). 

The Raad Ny Foillan is I'd suppose the 'Crown Jewel' of the footpaths and I've seen it advertised/talke about for walking holidays.  It is pretty much 100 miles.  I'd probably say about 10% of it needs cutting back.  The rest is generally pretty clear.  There are sections at Clay Head, Port Soderick and I think Glen Maye where you have to walk on roads due to angry farmers. 

Other main one would be the Millennium Way. 

It's not really hedgerows that need trimming.  It's overgrown grass, brambles, bracken etc. 

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How would you force the landowners to do their sections. There is nothing in it for them. 

Miles in a day. I'm not convinced by that. They were doing the short section from marine drive to port sidekick last year. Took them 2 days to do about 400m and it looked like bloody hard work .

Port e Vullen to Maughold is about 2 or 3 miles. One man did the lot in a morning. Not difficult if kept in check. So it can be done.

Landowners, yes I know some won't but many do (and keep it better than the DoI do!).

When retired I'd quite happily take a strimmer out a couple of days a week and keep the paths clear, for a few quid in beer money. Get to be outside in the fresh air, helping people enjoy the island.

Then there's the whole question of whether you get some of the lads and lasses from Jurby out helping...

9 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

When retired I'd quite happily take a strimmer out a couple of days a week and keep the paths clear, for a few quid in beer money. Get to be outside in the fresh air, helping people enjoy the island.

Same. Not got a petrol strimmer, but I'd be tempted.  I already do similar for mountain bike trails in the plantation closest to me.  Although that's fallen trees and sticks etc.  I've got a chainsaw and I can do it at night/eves and it's unlikely any innocent bystanders are going to get in the way or DOI kick off. 

Maybe someone should suggest to Alf recruiting a retired gentleman's land army?

26 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It is bloody hard work as is anything that's been let go; it takes twice as long to bring it back compared to if it had seen some regular maintenance. And less hedgecutters and more chainsaws once the gorse sets in and flourishes.

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There is 316kms. The rapid growth is April to July (depending upon the weather). No pint doing it before it's happened to that means June start. It's possible but saying 1 or 2 persons is just foolish. You can't trim hedgerows with a strimmer. Add in the fact that you can't cut back hedgerows from April to end September (wildlife act). 

June start my arse. Stuff grows pretty much through the winter these days. If they started in March it would keep on top of it, make the job a lot quicker. Doing it before it happens is the whole point. What they're doing now is cutting basically impassable footpaths, many of which haven't been touched for years- it's ten times the job it should be. If they kept on top of it it would be a doddle, not to mention the footpaths would probably be much better used which would also help.

If the wildlife act prevents this, how come they doing it at the moment? How come they're also trimming the roadside hedgerows?

Where there's a will there's a way - the footpaths were always kept in pretty good condition, you can make as many excuses as you like, the reason they're not now is as I mentioned before - too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

June start my arse. Stuff grows pretty much through the winter these days

What total ignorance. How many nettles grow in Winter?

Some stuff continues to grow in winter but very slowly

Growth is proportional to a combination of Temperature and hours/intensity of Sunlight. That's a fact. Things that are in short supply from November to April. Sunlight and warmth triggers the growth of all plants. They need carbon to grow. Carbon is formed by photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is a chemical reaction that is proportional to intensity of sunlight. Without sunlight a plant cannot form new cells and therefore cannot grow.

Did you go to school?

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Growth is proportional to a combination of Temperature and hours/intensity of Sunlight. That's a fact. Things that are in short supply from November to April. Sunlight and warmth triggers the growth of all plants. They need carbon to grow. Carbon is formed by photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is a chemical reaction that is proportional to intensity of sunlight. Without sunlight a plant cannot form new cells and therefore cannot grow.

Did you go to school?

My roses still manage to grow quite happily through winter. Flowers beyond Christmas. Then when I prune them they're already shooting for next year in Jan/Feb. We have mild winters. The growing season is long (and getting longer based on my own garden observations over the years). So maintenance needs to happen all year (albeit to a lesser degree probably Dec/Jan/Feb).

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

My roses still manage to grow quite happily through winter. Flowers beyond Christmas. Then when I prune them they're already shooting for next year in Jan/Feb. We have mild winters. The growing season is long (and getting longer based on my own garden observations over the years). So maintenance needs to happen all year (albeit to a lesser degree probably Dec/Jan/Feb).

I agree with that. But weeds are the main problem. They do not grow in winter generally. Neither do brambles as they shed their leaves. The problematic species are the fast growing summer species. Grass grows all year round but it grows 10 times faster in June than it does in January.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Did you go to school?

Oh Christ, here we go, it's like the EV charger thread all over again. I'm surprised you didn't manage to get Ohms law in there somewhere. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Ask any gardener what would happen if they didn't bother cutting anything until June as you've suggested. You don't need to know much about photosynthesis to know that it would be a much bigger job than if you'd kept on top of it and started in March.

There really is no point in arguing with you, you'll defend the government at all costs. I guess we should just agree to disagree.

41 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Oh Christ, here we go, it's like the EV charger thread all over again. I'm surprised you didn't manage to get Ohms law in there somewhere. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Ask any gardener what would happen if they didn't bother cutting anything until June as you've suggested. You don't need to know much about photosynthesis to know that it would be a much bigger job than if you'd kept on top of it and started in March.

There really is no point in arguing with you, you'll defend the government at all costs. I guess we should just agree to disagree.

FFS, anyone who walks paths knows that they are clear up until mid June, plenty grows from February, but wild garlic bluebells etc don't encroach on paths, ferns, brambles and gorse do.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Nothing to do with Government. Its just facts. I would love to have all paths clear. Its rubbish that they get overgrown. All I am saying is that

1. It happens all over the world

2. Its a big job to sort it

Anyway, next year I am going to cut my lawn in March whether it needs it or not. Seems like that will make it easier for the rest of the summer....or maybe not.

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Did you go to school?

Ivy seems to manage it!