Rumble in Market Street last outside Elegance taxi firm

Fred the shred

27 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

My impression is, that there is a conspiracy of silence between the government and the police...designed as far as is possible to maintain the illusion that the island is relatively crime free. A low crime rate is after all one of the Island's so called USPs.

For example, there is a fight, someone is arrested for 'attempted murder', the police investigate and it ends up in court as assault. If the story comes out earlier, the news here, starved of content, will have 'attempted murder' as the headline.

So if you keep things quiet until things go to court, and then report only the final charge, then of course life here looks comparatively crime free.

Maybe the police should publish a summary of the charge sheets and callouts issued over a weekend. No names, no details of location etc -  just to indicate the volume and types of crime we have here, which would no doubt shock a few people I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Indeed, it is pure speculation, something we are warned against.  However, it is also quite a good way of the police getting info. Perhaps they are just waiting for the right unguarded comment to give the important lead? 

Good grief!   I’ll retire to bedlam!

16 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Is the general consensus of face book that a disturbance was reported, but perpetrators had fucked off before before the gendarmerie  arrived. If so what the hell was the road closed for, a non event like two blokes squaring up slapping each other a few times then off home. Why bother investigating this kind of altercation, nobody  injured no aggrieved party just to charge them and end up with a fine and record. Complete waste of time and resources.

That's not what happened though. 

1 hour ago, Twitch said:

Maybe the police should publish a summary of the charge sheets and callouts issued over a weekend. No names, no details of location etc -  just to indicate the volume and types of crime we have here, which would no doubt shock a few people I reckon.

An FOI covering the last 5 years would make an interesting analysis. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

Probably the most obtuse, condescending and patronising post I have read from a professional.

What was patronising about it  

The press release said - At around 4am this morning, Saturday 10th August 2024, outside Elegance Taxis on Market Street, Douglas, an altercation has occurred between a number of males.  we would like to apologise for any inconvenience the closure of Market Street may of caused today, this is not a decision that is taken lightly however it is imperative that we secure all available evidence at the location to establish the facts of the matter which remain under investigation at this time. 

I am genuinely wondering what more information people want to know as it all appears to be there

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Not so sure it is a conspiracy of silence, but like the appeals not to speculate, the slow drip of information and then the appeals for information about an unspecified event just make you wonder if the importance of good communication is understood or even valued. 

The fact that we are a small community may have some bearing, but all communities are small, just that there are many more small communities making up the larger public elsewhere. 

The stance seems to be that the Manx public is gossipy and nosey.  Whereas, as with all communities, the Manx public is interested in what is happening in its community.  We don't need to have the ins and outs of a duck's ass, nor are we demanding that.  But to have a road closed for an investigation with no information, and then to be advised that there was an altercation, that's it, no indication of injuries, arrests or the broad circumstances, just comes across as a contempt for the public.  That contempt was demonstrated in Thommo2010's reply above. 

Said many times, no one expects information that jeopardises an investigation, but policing is supposed to be by consent and requires openness and candour. 

How would I show any contempt? I don't know anything about the incident, I was genuinely interested in what more you would like to know, how would knowing about injuries or if people had been arrested assist you in giving information to the police?

14 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I am genuinely wondering what more information people want to know as it all appears to be there

The date of the court case is not there. Of course that is not decided at the moment, but it is reasonable for people to want to know such things.

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The date of the court case is not there. Of course that is not decided at the moment, but it is reasonable for people to want to know such things.

Why would that be reasonable? unless there is a personal connection to the case i.e you are involved know the people involved etc why would you want to know when the court case is? court is held every Tuesday and Thursday and is open to the public so anyone can attend 

44 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

How would I show any contempt? I don't know anything about the incident, I was genuinely interested in what more you would like to know, how would knowing about injuries or if people had been arrested assist you in giving information to the police?

You have just summed up the issue and don't understand the concept of an engaged public.  It is not just about assisting people on giving information to the police, although understanding what the incident was about may 'jog' some memories or prompt people to come forward who otherwise hadn't thought of doing so.  It is more about engendering openness and engagement; it's a two way street. 

On 8/11/2024 at 9:50 AM, Roger Mexico said:

In a deeply shocking development, the police actually issued an appeal for information on the same day:

At around 4am this morning, Saturday 10th August 2024, outside Elegance Taxis on Market Street, Douglas, an altercation has occurred between a number of males.

... Market Street was closed until 13:20 to enable Officers to conduct their enquiries. Inspector Michael Taylor said ‘ we would like to apologise for any inconvenience the closure of Market Street may of caused today, this is not a decision that is taken lightly ...'

So the people who write IoM Constabulary appeals for information can't spell?

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

A colleague who was in the vicinity just after the police arrived noted a large bloodstain, sounds a lot more serious than the police are indicating.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

You have just summed up the issue and don't understand the concept of an engaged public.  It is not just about assisting people on giving information to the police, although understanding what the incident was about may 'jog' some memories or prompt people to come forward who otherwise hadn't thought of doing so.  It is more about engendering openness and engagement; it's a two way street. 

For example this one it starts off with at 4am on Market street, I knew I wasn't on market street at that time so I just skip by it as I know there is no information that I could provide that would assist in anyway, in terms of what happened, how many arrested, injuries then I couldn't care less to be honest. If it involved someone close to me or someone I knew then I would find out through them.