Mid-Term Appraisals

Manx Bean

5 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Thanks Stu. With regards to questions and ‘showboating’ - I think there may be some of this, but (IMHO) there is a positive to asking the difficult and awkward questions in a public forum, where the answers are therefore public record to allow for greater transparency (I assume one of your election pledges?) and to help hold individuals and departments to account, by yourselves as the representatives of the public, and to the public themselves. Would you not agree this could be part of your arsenal to ‘bring back the middle ground’? 

Most of the awkward questions I’ve asked in public have been about our (to me) futile and ruinous attempts to achieve net zero. I think it’s the biggest mistake in a generation. Politics doesn’t come easily to me, but I do understand now that making a lot of noise in sittings and the media is perceived by many to be the mark of a good MHK, whether that noise achieves anything or not. I also understand that every policy will probably have unintended consequences, so making a fuss over a local issue may disadvantage others around the Island, therefore I seek sensible solutions rather than those that will win votes.

At the end of the day Steve, only I know if I’m performing properly - but it’s not a job where there are any KPI’s or (usually) measurable results. I understand my shortcomings (I’m 99% perfect but still working on modesty) and try to overcome them but people are welcome to choose someone else in 2026 if they disagree with my voting history, work for constituents, roles in DOI and IOMPO, or way of doing things. I won’t pander to anyone to win favour, those in Tynwald know that, those outside seem to resent it at times. I’ve posted Roosevelt’s ‘Critics’ speech previously, and it still guides me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Most of the awkward questions I’ve asked in public have been about our (to me) futile and ruinous attempts to achieve net zero. I think it’s the biggest mistake in a generation.

I'd like to think of myself as relatively 'green' at least keenly aware of the environment and I also have a scientific background.  A few years ago I would have disagreed with you.  But begrudgingly I now totally agree with you on the Net Zero bollocks.  Some of it is certainly a good idea, nothing wrong with a bit of energy security etc. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Most of the awkward questions I’ve asked in public have been about our (to me) futile and ruinous attempts to achieve net zero. I think it’s the biggest mistake in a generation. Politics doesn’t come easily to me, but I do understand now that making a lot of noise in sittings and the media is perceived by many to be the mark of a good MHK, whether that noise achieves anything or not. I also understand that every policy will probably have unintended consequences, so making a fuss over a local issue may disadvantage others around the Island, therefore I seek sensible solutions rather than those that will win votes.

At the end of the day Steve, only I know if I’m performing properly - but it’s not a job where there are any KPI’s or (usually) measurable results. I understand my shortcomings (I’m 99% perfect but still working on modesty) and try to overcome them but people are welcome to choose someone else in 2026 if they disagree with my voting history, work for constituents, roles in DOI and IOMPO, or way of doing things. I won’t pander to anyone to win favour, those in Tynwald know that, those outside seem to resent it at times. I’ve posted Roosevelt’s ‘Critics’ speech previously, and it still guides me.

Thanks Stu. Perhaps a KPI could be against election pledges/policies that you’ve achieved? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Edge and Thomas are now full of questions now they have been kicked out of the elite circle, not a good look bitterness and pity parties do nothing for the instigators of such.

It's standard procedure to then start bitching about stuff that would have been their responsibility before they got booted out of their respective ministerial positions.  Professor Ashy is a prime example as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Edge and Thomas are now full of questions now they have been kicked out of the elite circle, not a good look bitterness and pity parties do nothing for the instigators of such.

To be fair to Thomas he has a consistent (if slightly bumbling) approach. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

But, as I keep on pointing out, Thomas and Edge (and indeed Ashford) were among the most assiduous questioners before they were made Ministers.  So they're just reverting to type. In the case of the first two maybe they continued asking questions once they were inside government and that's why they were sacked.  (Ashford of course claimed to have never asked about anything and to know nothing.  Which is why he had to be sacked).

The difference is that they're clearly now also wanting to find out what happened to projects that were supposed to be happening when they were Ministers and they now have the inside information.  Which is something the rest of us can take advantage of, if we are genuinely wanting better government on the Island.

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The difference is that they're clearly now also wanting to find out what happened to projects that were supposed to be happening when they were Ministers and they now have the inside information.  Which is something the rest of us can take advantage of, if we are genuinely wanting better government on the Island.

It would have been better for the population if during the time they were ministers they had acted on behalf of the population and not on behalf of the Civil Service.

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It would have been better for the population if during the time they were ministers they had acted on behalf of the population and not on behalf of the Civil Service.

Maybe they tried.  Maybe that's why they are no longer ministers.  We know that is exactly what happened to Callister when he tried in his inept way to ask about improving things and immediately got the senior civil servants crying that the naughty man was hurting their feelings.

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

It would have been better for the population if during the time they were ministers they had acted on behalf of the population and not on behalf of the Civil Service

Why do you think they were ejected from Comin?

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2