Mid-Term Appraisals

Manx Bean

43 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Especially Stu.

Stu may have been an effective constituency MHK (not mine so I can't confirm) but at a national level to date there is little sign of the election pledges for accountability of, "the out of control executive and civil service".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Stu may have been an effective constituency MHK (not mine so I can't confirm) but at a national level to date there is little sign of the election pledges for accountability of, "the out of control executive and civil service".

I can confirm that he is, indeed, as good as the rest.  

His chip was changed and he re-booted in MHK mode as soon as he set up his PiP profile to view his payslips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Especially Stu.

Why pick on him especially? Basically people get elected with varying degrees of ability then get put in charge of very large organisations that they are completely unqualified to lead. Not just here , same everywhere. Some of them are very good , some not but it can be hard to tell mostly.

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

Why pick on him especially? Basically people get elected with varying degrees of ability then get put in charge of very large organisations that they are completely unqualified to lead. Not just here , same everywhere. Some of them are very good , some not but it can be hard to tell mostly.

It's true many of them have been disappointing, but I think Stu deserves particular recognition. Do you not remember his election campaign? "Taking back the middle ground" , not afraid to ask difficult questions and all that complete bullshit. He made himself out to be a bolshe reformer who was going to bring some much needed common sense back to the Keys.

And yet, once elected he almost completely disappeared. All the rhetoric was gone, he even gave up on his constituency video updates in very short order. He's asked virtually no questions (difficult or otherwise) and the only thing anyone's seen of him is on here defending either the government or his own ineffectiveness.

He seems to now be of the opinion that it's impossible to change anything under the current system and seems to think this is justification to sit back and not even bother trying. 

He justifies his lack of questions in the house by claiming to pursue "quieter victories" sorted out with cosy chats behind the scenes, but has yet to mention a single one of these victories, nor have any apparently made it to the public domain.

I have no problem with his qualifications to do the job, I just think that, once elected, he decided that this seems like a nice place to take early retirement.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

He made himself out to be a bolshe reformer who was going to bring some much needed common sense back to the Keys

Many are the candidates who stood and were elected on that platform too, Geoff Cannell was another. All rapidly muzzled and made to realise which side their bread was buttered once they took their seats. The intake of female MLCs who were warned about boat-rocking during their inauguration as well.

I think we all know how it works by now.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2024 at 10:53 AM, Non-Believer said:

Stu may have been an effective constituency MHK (not mine so I can't confirm) 

I was very surprised he did not attend the public meeting on the Braddan Roundhouse. Yes it’s not strictly a matter for the MHKs but you would think an MHK would attend the meeting on such a significant issue in the constituency. But he may have had something more important on. 

On 8/15/2024 at 11:56 PM, Amadeus said:

Probably the worst government in a long time. Disappointed with many of them including Stu. 

Stu got given the Post Office job and kept quiet ever since. He seems to be ok at the Post Office job, to be fair to him, but it was depressing how easily he was bought off by Cannan.

But then again, Stu chose Cannan to be Chief Minister despite all the evidence showing Cannan is nothing but an arrogant idiot.

This government is up there with the worst of them, but when the Chief Minister is Alf Cannan what do you expect? I had very low expectations from the Temu Toryboy and yet, somehow, he’s managed to be even worse than I thought he’d be.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Hooper has been fantastic. He listens and takes criticisms on board with empathy.

Hopefully he'll take his ejection at the next election with the same empathy.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:14 PM, Anyone said:

You have to factor in that generally MHK's will be pure amateurs at whatever portfolio they are handed. It's simply part and parcel of being an MHK. Of course, you can always dodge responsibility by becoming the Squeaker or whatever but for most it's going to be "challenging" shall we say. IMHO the steepest learning curve has to be that of Health with the size of budget and responsibility that goes with it. Which makes it the poisoned chalice...

Sheer delusions of Statehood also means that Tynwald has to try and mimic the HoC with their Ministerial appointments. Unfortunately a paucity of talent means they are immediately on the back foot. It shouldn't be surprising though. In the UK the constituencies have an electorate of between 70k to 77k to produce just one MP. And as the previous tory administration has shown us even lots of them can be spectacularly dire. In the IOM an electorate of just 65k is tasked with finding not 1 but 24 MHK's! A ratio per representative of 1 per 2,708 electors compared to the UK, on whom they model themselves, of 1 per 73,500 electors. A difference of an awful lot!

Add to that the fact that party politics are pretty much non-existent in Tynwald, which simply encourages a breeding ground of self-interest, and the whole farrago looks unmistakably unfit for purpose...

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 4