Oie Houney Or Hop Tu Naa

staaue

A reminder to all you Manksies out there, don't forget your customs. We don't do trick'a'treat and don't do pumpkins.. :P:P

If you come to my door trick'a'treat'n then you'll learn some new Manks words.... :angry:

The traditional song will of course be rewarded with goodies.. :D

;)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So were ya from staaue?

We just love the tradition of "trick or treat" on the isle of man :)

Who cares what the kiddies sing? As long as they have a pumkin or a turnip or even if they dont its still ok :)

Weve got bonfire night to look forward to first anyways, will bring the kids to the fire works display at peel, just like i allways do, think I look forward to it more than the kids LOL :)

Awwww hop tu naa? I just love to see all the little ones enjoying themselves so much! theres so many magic witches + merlins about :)

Got to go along with staaue on this one! 'Trick or treat' is utterly meaningless in the island - just something the kids have copied from watching too many American television programmes.

'Hop tu naa' is the local tradition and, although pumpkin lanterns may be easier to produce, the effort put into scraping out the traditional moot is well worth rewarding, especially if the kids actually know the words of the song.

As for Steven - how do you look forward to bonfire night (November 5th) before Hop tu Naa (October 31st)?

:unsure:

All together now...

"Hop tu naa, me mothers gone away

And she wont be back until the morning

ginny the witch flew over the house

to catch the stick to ladder the mouse

Hop tu naa..."

Im sure those are the words we used to sing. If they're wrong, can anybody offer the correct version?

:)

So were ya from staaue?

We just love the tradition of "trick or treat" on the isle of man

Who cares what the kiddies sing? As long as they have a pumkin or a turnip or even if they dont its still ok

Weve got bonfire night to look forward to first anyways, will bring the kids to the fire works display at peel, just like i allways do, think I look forward to it more than the kids LOL

Awwww hop tu naa? I just love to see all the little ones enjoying themselves so much! theres so many magic witches + merlins about

My thread wouldn't antagonise a true Manksie.

What the #oo# does 'were ya from' mean Steven.... Are you a Lancashire boy??? from Bury or somewhere??? :lol::lol:

Hmmm. So you look forward to bonfire night eh.. That's good yessir, a real Manks tradition that is.. I see we can rely on you to help keep our traditions alive.. Merlins????? Isn't that a fish???

I personally enjoy the fireworks, and my kids understand that Guy Fawke's night is an English tradition to remind everyone of what happens to people who go against the English powers that be.!

I prefer to let my fireworks off on 31st Oct to scare away the evil spirits, witches and bugganes that creep around on our most spiritual of Celtic nights. I just love the smell of a turnip, doesn't it just remind you of your childhood every year.

Slinkydevil... Mate - I live just around the corner from Steven who lives in MONGolia.. :ph34r:

:lol::lol:

try www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/mb1896/p068.htm for various versions of ballad etc

as for November the 5th the answer given by Arbory Churchwardens in 1634 is a good one - To ye x article viz : whethr : ye 5 of [November] bee keept we answere it is usell cald [usual called ie from the pulpit]; but ye people care not - (see www.manxnotebook.com/jmmuseum/d010.htm)

All together now...

"Hop tu naa, me mothers gone away

And she wont be back until the morning

ginny the witch flew over the house

to catch the stick to ladder the mouse

Hop tu naa..."

Im sure those are the words we used to sing. If they're wrong, can anybody offer the correct version?

:)

was it 'to lather' the mouse maybe ?

I did read some time ago that someone had unravelled the origin of the wording of the song, there was a lady called something like 'Ginny', but I can't remember where I read about it now.

Any sleuths out there know where it was ?

try www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/mb1896/p068.htm for various versions of ballad etc

as for November the 5th the answer given by Arbory Churchwardens in 1634 is a good one - To ye x article viz : whethr : ye 5 of [November] bee keept we answere it is usell cald [usual called ie from the pulpit]; but ye people care not - (see www.manxnotebook.com/jmmuseum/d010.htm)

10. To ye x article viz : whethr : ye 5 of [November] bee keept we answere it is usell cald; but ye people care not [the last five words are crossed out by the writer's pen].

Hmmm. Article 10 seems unanswered Frances. Other than the Manks weren't interested either way.. But why would they cross it out.??

Maybe they were worried about upsetting someone!!

I don't think most would be able to handle the real traditional Hop tu Naa song. they would find it rather repetitive.

On a lighter note, I would sing the song 'Thescope' quoted and change to a naughtier version if nobody anwered..

Hop tu Naa, Hop tu Naa.

my mother's gon away

And she won't be back until the morn'n

Jinney the witch the silly old bitch, her arse is made of clay.

She did a fart behind a car and blew the wheels away.

Then we'd bash the door and leg it.... :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived