Oie Houney Or Hop Tu Naa

staaue

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this year's star pumpkinhead is....THE MAYOR OF NUNEATON!

There are some scary people out there! Or should I say, there are some scary people in power out there! Each to their own...

This question goes out to all the pagans among us.

Does anyone know what, why or how there's a relationship between why we celebrate Hop tu naa and then we celebrate the mid-winter Solstice????

And correct me if I'm wrong, (which I maybe) but isn't tomorrow (2nd Nov 2009) the true hop tu naa...???

There's a decent reference in WIKIPEDIA

I like traditions, but I'm really not sure about: A cake was made which was called Soddag Valloo or Dumb Cake, because it was made and eaten in silence. Young women and girls all had a hand in baking it on the red embers of the hearth, first helping to mix the ingredients, flour, eggs, eggshells, soot and salt, and kneading the dough. :unsure:

There's a decent reference in WIKIPEDIA

I like traditions, but I'm really not sure about: A cake was made which was called Soddag Valloo or Dumb Cake, because it was made and eaten in silence. Young women and girls all had a hand in baking it on the red embers of the hearth, first helping to mix the ingredients, flour, eggs, eggshells, soot and salt, and kneading the dough. :unsure:

I'm inclined to see this activity as a means to get young Manks women to shut up and go to bed?

There's been a few versions of Hop Tu Naa and I preferred the 1930's one.

Anyway, does anyone have a link to a Youtube or other music link so that I could listen to the Hop Tu Naa song at my leisure?

Archived