Oie Houney Or Hop Tu Naa

staaue

Ahhh Maybe its just a Peel thing yesssirrrr

My missus and kids are all govics and its what theylike to do, me I'm just an old fashioned Crosby then Michael boy. I always preffered the old 'her ass is made of clay' lyric

Perhaps Mr WOO can explain the upside down turnip, that really does intrigue me.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahhh Maybe its just a Peel thing yesssirrrr

My missus and kids are all govics and its what theylike to do, me I'm just an old fashioned Crosby then Michael boy. I always preffered the old 'her ass is made of clay' lyric

Perhaps Mr WOO can explain the upside down turnip, that really does intrigue me.

We certainly carried them by the stump, I can't offer an explanation, that was how it was handed to you! but when my wife made them for our children she attatched a string handle.

We also sang the "put in the pot" version as well as the one I gave earlier. For years I sang "pudding the pot" without realising it was wrong and didn't make sense. We had a scary face on the front of the turnip and the moon, stars and a ship on the back.

Surely there must be someone in Peel who knows how to tie knots!

Some of the fishermen may have managed a rudimentary granny knot but they were all off chasing merlinfish and saylefish and the like, apparently. It was tough in Peel in the 50s, we were lucky to have stumps on our moots, but you try telling that to the youngsters today...

Where does the word 'Moot' come from..????

Is it an affectionate nickname of some kind. because it isn't the correct Manks name for a rutabage or swedish turnip or yellow turnip etc etc...

I've always known that rather large thing used on hop tu naa as a turnip.. but then I learned it was in fact a swede, and that tunips were small..??

Now according to my 'Kelly's Manks Dictionary' there is no reference to the word 'moot'

The manks word that I know is 'Napin'

So my main question is this, is moot a slang word and where did it originate..??

Where does the word 'Moot' come from..????

Is it an affectionate nickname of some kind. because it isn't the correct Manks name for a rutabage or swedish turnip or yellow turnip etc etc...

I've always known that rather large thing used on hop tu naa as a turnip.. but then I learned it was in fact a swede, and that tunips were small..??

Now according to my 'Kelly's Manks Dictionary' there is no reference to the word 'moot'

The manks word that I know is 'Napin'

So my main question is this, is moot a slang word and where did it originate..??

To be honest with you I've never heard of it before until seeing it here, but AW Moore's "Vocabulary of the Anglo - Manx Dialect" has it thus:

MOOT [müt], turnip.

Them moots or turmits or whatavar ye're callin them is jus' as big as yer nut.

Honest!

:)

I always know the thing we used for a 'tunip lantern' as a 'purple-topped swede', (maybe about 8" diameter) as used for winter feed for cattle. These were usually chopped into slices in a 'turnip cutter' of all things ! (a hopper which held the swedes and a big rotating blade with sharpened scoops which took a chunk out of the root and dropped them into a basket below)

I remember raiding the kitchen drawer for a sharp knife and chopping away at a swede for hours hollowing out the middle, we had it the 'right way up' with the top hollowed out for a chimney, and a string (or binder-twine) handle, which always got hot above the chimney. After it had been lit for quite a while the top used to get shrivelled up and sometimes fall in the hole.

I remember them being called 'moots' though

Yes Mr Woo, all I could find on moot having something to do with a turnip was this webpage.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fu...am1924/pt_m.htm

And every other reference to the word 'moot' was relating to an ancient meeting of tynwald. How curious??

I'm unsure if the OCR software Frances uses has incorrectly translated meet to moot.. Its not impossible, though improbable. :blink:

Staaue

It is more that possible - my pages have been done over a period of 10 years and both scanners & OCR have improved considerably over that period - the first OCR software I had was rather poor and had a habit of reverting to autocorrection which made proofreading (a tedious task at best of times) even more difficult as there were no obvious mis-spellings - I'm always happy to receive notifications of poorly OCR pages

Yes Mr Woo, all I could find on moot having something to do with a turnip was this webpage.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fu...am1924/pt_m.htm

And every other reference to the word 'moot' was relating to an ancient meeting of tynwald. How curious??

I think even in English a moot is a meeting, especially a court or judicial one, and even the place the meeting takes place is a moot and those attending are mootmen - so moot sounds right for Tynwald. I'd go for your affectionate nickname theory, in Scotland they call turnips "neeps" so maybe it's similar. Or maybe naming turnips after the mootmen of Tynwald was a comment!

Archived