Oie Houney Or Hop Tu Naa

staaue

I knew there'd be a Hop tu naa thread about here somewhere, some things never change, do they?

I had a great time at Halloween, seemed to attract lots of kids to the house by parking my broomstick outside the front door. Everyone sang and had fancy dress costumes, but no turnips, spuds or even a pumpkin in sight. And I'd have given my last packet of Haribo to see a kid dressed up as a ghost in a white sheet. They have no imagination these days.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Whatever happened to steven?

Whatever happened to thehater

Whatever happened to FRCM

oh, and vader, whatever happened to vader?

Yay she's back! :)

What ever happened to puddy? :(

She sheepishly came up to me in Nightlife a few months ago to ask if I posted on MF.

I gave her a funny look and denied it completely, then admitted, yes I am *that* sad.. lol

:blush:

• 1 year later...
This is the Ramsey version...

Hop Tu Naa, Hop Tu Naa!

Jinny The Witch is in your house,

Give us a penny & we'll chase her out.

Hop Tu Naa, Hop Tu Naa!

This is the Laxey,circa 1960`S version.on houses that won`t anwer the door.

Jinny the witch the scruffy owl bitch

hiding behind the door,

well bugger you,and a curse on your house,we won`t call here nomore!

This is the Ramsey version...

Hop Tu Naa, Hop Tu Naa!

Jinny The Witch is in your house,

Give us a penny & we'll chase her out.

Hop Tu Naa, Hop Tu Naa!

This is the Laxey,circa 1960`S version.on houses that won`t anwer the door.

Jinny the witch the scruffy owl bitch

hiding behind the door,

well bugger you,and a curse on your house,we won`t call here nomore!

Does anyone really care about old Manx traditions?

Never heard of Oie Houney before. Was this term interchangeable with Hop Tu Naa?

Short answer is no I don't think so, it's more of a revival to help separate Halloween from our own 'purer' custom. Hop tu naa has it's curruptions thanks to the church.

The not so short answer is Mee Houney is Manks for the month of November, so when you see or hear Oie Houney it means November's eve; and another name for November is Toshiaght Gheuree, which translates as the start of winter in Manks. The problem is not many people understand the true meaning behind this festive time of year; as to what it means or how to celebrate it. The Celtic month starts with a new moon, so we are still in the month of October from a truly Celtic point of view.

The relevance of this is that the Celtic November (or winters start) doesn't start until the new moon on the 13th November; which is the month that has the moon in it's most powerful position in the night sky, with the sun at it's weakest. Hence why we have bonfires (or bone fires to those of you who understand the relevance).

Bonfire night on the fifth November is not a celebration of any importance to us Manks in regards to that poor English chum 'Guy Fawkes'. Though I see the need to burn the odd English toz'a at least once a year 'Chiarn'. :D

When I see the Guy atop a burning bonfire, it reminds me of what happens to people who dare to challenge the authorities.. <_< Not a chance to be thankful Guy Fawkes didn't succeed!!!

Oie Houney means 'Eve of Sauin. Hop Tu Naa is the name for the festivities that take place on Oie Houney.

Sauin, in Manx orthography, or 'Samhain' in Irish/Scottish orthography is the Gaelic god of the dead.

The Irish orthography (spelling system) indicates that it is from 'Sam fuin' - the 'sam' part being the Ancient Celtic word that gave rise to English 'summer' and the 'fuin' part meaning 'sunset' or 'end' and the origin of European words such as French 'fin' and English 'finite'. I suppose that a reasonable translation for Oie Houney is 'Eve of the End of Summer'.

Oie Houney means 'Eve of Sauin. Hop Tu Naa is the name for the festivities that take place on Oie Houney.

Sauin, in Manx orthography, or 'Samhain' in Irish/Scottish orthography is the Gaelic god of the dead.

The Irish orthography (spelling system) indicates that it is from 'Sam fuin' - the 'sam' part being the Ancient Celtic word that gave rise to English 'summer' and the 'fuin' part meaning 'sunset' or 'end' and the origin of European words such as French 'fin' and English 'finite'. I suppose that a reasonable translation for Oie Houney is 'Eve of the End of Summer'.

"Fin" comes from Latin. It's nonsense to claim the origin is Celtic.

S

Archived