MGP 2024

La Colombe

Yes this is what most people are saying from businesses to the hospitality trade to the public and visitors but no one is listening especially the buffoons who dreamed this new variant up.   The people who have been most vocal to me are Marshalls who have for years have loved the MGP and enjoyed being a part of it.    It was an idea, didn’t work, but now a blank refusal to admit it.    This is what happens when amateurs run events, especially amateurs with huge heads and a false sense of importance.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well as Tinpot didn't provide any context, so I assumed he was referring to the Central in Peel.  But it still confirms my point about places being keen to say they're doing well.   And I'm glad they are and hope the free house model in an H&B-owned pub succeeds elsewhere as well, despite the Brewery's fondness for interfering with tenants when they think they're doing well.

But the position of the Central in Ramsey may also explain why they may do better than some others on the Course, because it is outside it and accessible from elsewhere when the roads are closed.

(I'm also fascinated that, as one of their previous pubs,  they are still using a Castletown Ale-style logo, despite that brewery closing in 1986.  Though I seem to remember Okells continued to brew something called that for a while after).

Yes Okells obtained the original Castletown Bitter from the last Head Brewer at Castletown Brewery and was brewed for a few years until it died a death ( did not taste of Vinegar I assume)

8 hours ago, piebaps said:

The Raven is accessible from elsewhere too - keep digging🤣

If you listen to the interview, the guy says its busy during road closures and it was after racing that it was quiet. Probably due to Ballaugh being a small village with little or no accommodation now the campsite has closed.

Doesn't explain why the pub was shut on Monday though. 

On a different thread regarding the welcome  fiasco it was stated an 80 year old man had been amongst the affected passengers he had been over to Marshall. This filled me with dismay how could an 80 year old person be fit to respond to an incident.  I know they are short but ….   No disrespect to the gentleman in question but the riders deserve well trained and physically fit people if they are unfortunate enough to need assistance.

• Confused 1

The Government do not want the MGP any more.

It gets in the way. 

Two weeks for TT is fine, 2 weeks for MGP upset too many people who couldn't go away to Spain for the period like they do for TT.

People won't be back.  I have people who have not returned for the TT because of the airport/flight/boat situation.  

People won't be back for the MGP because of the unwelcome feeling on the island for many visitors and the new schedule and lack of flexibility for timings,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

This filled me with dismay how could an 80 year old person be fit to respond to an incident.  I know they are short but ….    

I'll have you know, Young Man, that not ALL 80 year old's are SHORT!

39 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

On a different thread regarding the welcome  fiasco it was stated an 80 year old man had been amongst the affected passengers he had been over to Marshall. This filled me with dismay how could an 80 year old person be fit to respond to an incident.  I know they are short but ….   No disrespect to the gentleman in question but the riders deserve well trained and physically fit people if they are unfortunate enough to need assistance.

if he was a flag marshal he doesn't need to move much at all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Radio Marshall as one example.  Doesn’t even have to move other than their mouth and finger.

Edited by Tinpot

On 8/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, piebaps said:

The Raven is accessible from elsewhere too - keep digging🤣

If you listen to the interview, the guy says its busy during road closures and it was after racing that it was quiet. Probably due to Ballaugh being a small village with little or no accommodation now the campsite has closed.

The Raven is accessible from .... Ravendale.  I suspect most people might regard somewhere outside the Course in the second biggest town on the Island as being a little more easy to get to.  As it happens the campsite appears to have been reborn as Ballaugh Camping, though the Raven's landlord in the Manx Radio piece soundclip said it was much less busy than in previous years.  Presumably the widely publicised closure had meant it lost a lot of business and will take time to rebuild.

Incidentally the Raven's Facebook dated 19 August says:

We are currently open 7 days. Breakfast 830am while 10am. Lunches and dinners 12pm while 10pm Bar open from Sunday to Thursday 12 -1130pm Friday and Saturday 12 while 12am.

So presumably they were open on Monday

The comment about the pub only being busy during road closures actually came from the Ginger Hall guy.  But it makes sense when you consider the unpredictability of this year.  One of the most frequently heard complaints was that people didn't have time to explore the Island as there was no time that wasn't taken up, at least potentially, with racing.

• Like 2