MGP 2024

La Colombe

35 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I'm getting on in years now but did they not use to race in rain/wet conditions?

I vaguely remember a 2 lap senior(?) in the late 90's in pissing rain, just to get it in. I was watching in Ramsey. Definitely used to race with wet patches under the trees/through Glen Helen, just had the lack of adhesion flags out.

ETA - that definitely doesn't seem to happen now!!

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring
Addition

When the organisers put out a statement that the course will be closed from....example....6pm to NO LATER than 9pm....can they then be surprised when people pull out of one of the many driveways around the course that are not cordoned off by marshals outside of those times?  Not everyone is a fan of the TT/MGP and follows the latest updates released by the organisers.  They just follow the road closure information given and go about their lives.
These last couple of years seem to have shown up the organisers to be seriously lacking.  After the Mercer incident you can't help feeling that road racing on the island is only one more serious incident away from being scrapped!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I'm getting on in years now but did they not use to race in rain/wet conditions?

Yes they used to...but a lot of riders began to refuse to do it (can't remember which year particularly) but McGuiness and several other big names were part of that lobby. Pretty sure it coincided with a year the Senior did not actually go ahead because of rain, so my initial guess would be 2012, though I might be wrong.

• Like 2

I my self, would not like to wrestle one of these bikes around the circuit in the dry. Due to the power they now produce a lot of the machines are close to unridable without the electronic aids, the wet is a whole new ballgame especially on slicks. I know they have wets but they need constant moisture and you can not just nip into pits to change when they could be 20 odd miles away. 

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yes they used to...but a lot of riders began to refuse to do it (can't remember which year particularly) but McGuiness and several other big names were part of that lobby. Pretty sure it coincided with a year the Senior did not actually go ahead because of rain, so my initial guess would be 2012, though I might be wrong.

I remember one of the races starting in the wet and both Dunlops were well out in front.  JohnMc and a few others asked for it to be stopped, the Dunlops were not too happy if I recall.  Racing in the wet around here seems quite mad now.

5 hours ago, PhotoMan said:

When the organisers put out a statement that the course will be closed from....example....6pm to NO LATER than 9pm....can they then be surprised when people pull out of one of the many driveways around the course that are not cordoned off by marshals outside of those times?  Not everyone is a fan of the TT/MGP and follows the latest updates released by the organisers.  They just follow the road closure information given and go about their lives.
These last couple of years seem to have shown up the organisers to be seriously lacking.  After the Mercer incident you can't help feeling that road racing on the island is only one more serious incident away from being scrapped!

You also have once the actually races have finished the marshals, starting to pack up, leave position so they can get off when the roads closed car has gone passed, or just wander to go and chat with other marshals. 

If their is no rope or barrier in place and no sign of a marshal is it surprising that the odd person thinks the road might be open. It is possibly not helped by the struggle for numbers of marshals at times so they are more thinly spread and not visible in some normal places.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

You also have once the actually races have finished the marshals, starting to pack up, leave position so they can get off when the roads closed car has gone passed, or just wander to go and chat with other marshals. 

If their is no rope or barrier in place and no sign of a marshal is it surprising that the odd person thinks the road might be open. It is possibly not helped by the struggle for numbers of marshals at times so they are more thinly spread and not visible in some normal places.  

Im fairly certain this is why several cases, including the ramsey marina CEO from St Judes and Mr Kermode from Lezayre have pled not guilty and had charges withdrawn. Paired with a good lawyer, there doesnt seem to be much the prosecutors can do to enforce a road closure if there are no barriers outside private residencies on the more rural sections of the course. 

it does make me laugh how the Police media come out guns blazing when they catch someone driving on closed roads, lock them up overnight in prison cells and then drop the case a few months later. As was in the case of Mr Kermode. Classic manx reaction 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Im fairly certain this is why several cases, including the ramsey marina CEO from St Judes and Mr Kermode from Lezayre have pled not guilty and had charges withdrawn. 

& rumoured to have paid costs?

8 hours ago, PhotoMan said:

What makes you think it was outside those times?

30 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Im fairly certain this is why several cases, including the ramsey marina CEO from St Judes and Mr Kermode from Lezayre have pled not guilty and had charges withdrawn. Paired with a good lawyer, there doesnt seem to be much the prosecutors can do to enforce a road closure if there are no barriers outside private residencies on the more rural sections of the course. 

There's been a number of other ones recently where where after loud denunciations from all concerned, everything has gone strangely quiet and no prosecution have been reported.  The best advice now seems to be to plead not guilty and you'll get off, as the AG's Department aren't confident enough to bring such charges to court. 

I wonder if this may apply to other charges.  One of the odd things  I noticed when tabulating the Operation Nightjar sentences, was that everyone had pleaded guilty.  Maybe that's just how it happened, but you wonder if someone had insisted on going before a jury and claiming entrapment, then the prosecution might have been scared of losing and dropped the case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1