MGP 2024

La Colombe

34 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Unlike your trolling 😀

You should be grateful that someone obviously knowledgeable about road racing has been sharing valuable updates with us mere mortals who just think its a load of old shite.

• Haha 1

It's really fucking obvious how the mountain course status should be provided. How about a website with a domain name something like, oh, I don't know, perhaps mountaincourse.im.

All there should be is one single page with a map of the course, split by sector. When it's all closed it's all marked red. Then, as the roads open car goes round, it updates (either automatically via the GPS in the car, or manually by the driver being in radio contact with an operator with access to the website) and each sector changes to green as the car goes through and it opens up. And when it's all open it's all marked green.

This website would be the first thing updated and the absolute master source of info for roads open status. Anywhere else that provides this information should be getting it from this site.

That fact that this still doesn't exist is almost as embarrassing as them just opening up the Word document with the rules in and changing the rules to match what they have already done before generating a new rules pdf.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Why not open it all at the same time? None of this show off car flying around and people wondering. TMs could go through checking for anything untoward, then once the last one is in the CoC can press the green button, hey ho the whole thing is open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Have nothing to do with WhatsApp, I do listen to the coverage on Manx radio am on the player. You know local knowledge for local event.

You offer to pay for it, I am sure they will be happy to oblige. The rest of the world is happy with what they have.

No WhatsApp no updates. Up to you. Sounds very shortsighted to me. But you crack on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

It would be nice to have a simple way to check on the present state of the road. Say like on the main page of Manx radio just up in the right (or left) hand corner,  at present "Road is open" or "Road is closed" nothing fancy but up to date information. I know it would be to simple, we could always jazz it up with a boy scout in a little window giving the information in semaphore for people with hearing problems. 

https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029VajCIP70VycEJkGBqX2g

All you have to do is click. 

5 hours ago, Lilly said:

I had a journey using the access road yesterday, or at least l thought l did, planning my journey accordingly due to road closures.  l left home with approximately one and a half hours to reach my destination. I switched on MGP manx radio for updates; none were reported. I was surprised when l got to the access road and immediately noticed on entering that the course road was actually open.  I am not interested in the MGP or TT, l have found this week to be difficult on gaining correct information on times of road closures and l can understand when residents inside the course may well get it wrong.  

The MGP Whatsapp group has it all in real time

• Thanks 1

People moaning about a lack of info when there is a incredibly simple way to get instant updates that they don’t want to use is the most Manx thing ever.

Why would anyone want a website?  Data coverage is sketchy and if you were driving somewhere you round have to pull over to check while WhatsApp is instant.

Nowt stranger than folk it seems.  I might spend my evening moaning about there being nowhere to buy fish and chips because I don’t want to spend money in any of the local chippys!

• Like 2

It has been a bad week for racing as it has for the people on the adjacent island who have been affected by hurricane Elsie.   Thousands without electric, flooding, festivals cancelled etc it is just very unfortunate and down to whether no one else is to blame everyone is doing their best.   The moaning on Facebook is unbelievable  or perhaps not Moaners Isle is alive and well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reptar said:

It's really fucking obvious how the mountain course status should be provided. How about a website with a domain name something like, oh, I don't know, perhaps mountaincourse.im.

All there should be is one single page with a map of the course, split by sector. When it's all closed it's all marked red. Then, as the roads open car goes round, it updates (either automatically via the GPS in the car, or manually by the driver being in radio contact with an operator with access to the website) and each sector changes to green as the car goes through and it opens up. And when it's all open it's all marked green.

This website would be the first thing updated and the absolute master source of info for roads open status. Anywhere else that provides this information should be getting it from this site.

That fact that this still doesn't exist is almost as embarrassing as them just opening up the Word document with the rules in and changing the rules to match what they have already done before generating a new rules pdf.

Jesus, you could have checked the WhatsApp every half hour every day this week in the time it's taken you to type half that post.

The fact you didn't is almost as embarrassing as your misinterpretation of the rules, which you have similarly no clue about.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

People moaning about a lack of info when there is a incredibly simple way to get instant updates that they don’t want to use is the most Manx thing ever.

Why would anyone want a website?  Data coverage is sketchy and if you were driving somewhere you round have to pull over to check while WhatsApp is instant.

Nowt stranger than folk it seems.  I might spend my evening moaning about there being nowhere to buy fish and chips because I don’t want to spend money in any of the local chippys!

Some people enjoy moaning. They don't want solutions, they just want excuses to moan. 

I sent @Dirty Buggane a link. He won't be able to be arsed to click on it but will expect someone else to spend their day updating a website. 

• Like 1

People on FB going on about reverting to the two week format, and ignoring the fact that the organisers have said repeatedly that they cannot resource marshals, medics and other officials for two weeks, plus I suspect that the top riders wouldn't want to be here for two weeks.

Apart from the weather, which has obviously been an issue this week, a quick root cause analysis would show that too many red flags are being used, which costs a huge amount of time. Time, is one of the organisers scarcest resources.

I've been following the TT and MGP for almost 60 years, and for the first 45 of those a red flag was a very, very rare occurence. And yes, I've been a marshal and I've been involved in managing incidents while bikes were passing. Good use of yellow flags was sufficient to control any incident.

Sadly the TT and MGP are not sustainable unless the current use of red flags and practice of locking down the whole circuit when there is a racing incident is re-examined.

I'm sure that H&S, Insurance etc are at play here, but it must be obvious to those running the races that this current way of operating is playing a big part in destroying the event.

Edited by Nellie
  • Confused 1