MGP 2024

La Colombe

1 hour ago, reptar said:

It's really fucking obvious how the mountain course status should be provided. How about a website with a domain name something like, oh, I don't know, perhaps mountaincourse.im.

All there should be is one single page with a map of the course, split by sector. When it's all closed it's all marked red. Then, as the roads open car goes round, it updates (either automatically via the GPS in the car, or manually by the driver being in radio contact with an operator with access to the website) and each sector changes to green as the car goes through and it opens up. And when it's all open it's all marked green.

This website would be the first thing updated and the absolute master source of info for roads open status. Anywhere else that provides this information should be getting it from this site.

That fact that this still doesn't exist is almost as embarrassing as them just opening up the Word document with the rules in and changing the rules to match what they have already done before generating a new rules pdf.

My car's sat nav seems to know when the course is closed - it's outlined in black.  Even during TT when it's one way when only one side of the mountain stretch is in black.  So that information is already out there and accessible on the web if you know where to look.  Should be reasonably straightforward to knock up an app to do the same for those in the know, although as others have said the WhatsApp service is pretty good.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Jesus, you could have checked the WhatsApp every half hour every day this week in the time it's taken you to type half that post.

The fact you didn't is almost as embarrassing as your misinterpretation of the rules, which you have similarly no clue about.

There shouldn't be any need for a third party app, even one as ubiquitous as WhatsApp. A webpage viewable in any browser on any platform would be preferable.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Some people enjoy moaning. They don't want solutions, they just want excuses to moan. 

I sent @Dirty Buggane a link. He won't be able to be arsed to click on it but will expect someone else to spend their day updating a website. 

The WhatsApp link only works if WhatsApp is installed, it should not be necessary to install an app to get this info.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Here's an interesting observation. According to the Wiki List of Snaefell Mountain Course Fatalites, the death of Louis O"Regan last Sunday was only the second fatality to have occurred at Kate's Cottage in the history of racing on the course. The first, and only other death at that point was back in the infamous 1970 TT when Les Iles crashed there and died later in Nobles Hospital. You can read about that here. 

They were similar ages. 

Edited by La Colombe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, reptar said:

There shouldn't be any need for a third party app, even one as ubiquitous as WhatsApp. A webpage viewable in any browser on any platform would be preferable.

Why?  Why would anyone want to check a webpage while they are driving?

Genuine question because I don’t know anyone who would rather have to pull in and check a website rather than just use the WhatsApp.

16 minutes ago, reptar said:

The WhatsApp link only works if WhatsApp is installed, it should not be necessary to install an app to get this info.

You can use WhatsApp through any web browser.  No app needed

9 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Why?  Why would anyone want to check a webpage while they are driving?

Genuine question because I don’t know anyone who would rather have to pull in and check a website rather than just use the WhatsApp.

More over, reason why the IOM government wont invest in a road closure website for 3 and a half weeks a year is cost. 

Whatsapp channel is likely free

33 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

More over, reason why the IOM government wont invest in a road closure website for 3 and a half weeks a year is cost. 

I believe the cost  these days is very low. To register a domain name is maybe £10 per year, and web hosting maybe £20 per year. Anyone in the computer department of the gov. should be able to knock up the software for a basic web page.

51 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Whatsapp channel is likely free

It’s the same reason why the access road is a joke and still the only way to travel between inside/outside the course in a vehicle. 

5 minutes ago, Twitch said:

It’s the same reason why the access road is a joke and still the only way to travel between inside/outside the course in a vehicle. 

I was in there the other day, and can assure you I wasn’t laughing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I believe the cost  these days is very low. To register a domain name is maybe £10 per year, and web hosting maybe £20 per year. Anyone in the computer department of the gov. should be able to knock up the software for a basic web page.

Yes. But they don't work on weekends and evenings.  Don't give them ideas. 

The access road is a disgrace a new one was promised a few years ago by the then Minister of the DOI .   The other day a van broke down and nothing moved it is beyond a joke it is the only access road to the hospital.    If the racing community and the Government want to keep the public onside this needs sorting.

19 minutes ago, Twitch said:

13 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

I was in there the other day, and can assure you I wasn’t laughing.

Again. If you want to pay for one...crack on😂

• Sad 1