MGP 2024

La Colombe

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Hard to tell but any small delay, any incident and it’s over. Granted they don’t have a choice and it’s unfortunate that the weather was so shit the last week. Would the old format have worked better? 

The Junior MGP is now 1 lap - it’s a procession and certainly not a proper race. 

With all the disruption etc and trying to condense into weekend, they will end up losing races, and in turn unhappy sponsors. It needs to go back to 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Going to be really tough to drum up enough interest for next years after this years disaster. Visitors must have lost a fortune and lots not made it and had to give up there accommodation. Very sad really and it’s probably another nail in the event… Yes I know the support base are very loyal but that group is declining every year.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

If there have been serious injuries or fatalities, and the headline of a statement from the organisers is "There has been a bit of rain this year", some will consider that to be insensitive.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Just stick them all on the start together and do a 6 lap Wacky Races event. 

Good idea that.  Especially for the guys who are racing in two or three different races.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

With all the disruption etc and trying to condense into weekend, they will end up losing races, and in turn unhappy sponsors. It needs to go back to 2 weeks.

Unhappy burger van proprietors too who have shelled out 1000s for a pitch up at grandstand, only to see the place empty with waterlogged carparks. 

Going back to 2 weeks is one view. Cancelling it altogether is another option.  I’ve been here almost 20 years now. I think of TT as the island being alive, and of MGP as an inconvenient drizzle-fest with fewer soggy bored bike fans attending each year. Out of the two options I’d vote to can it. (Yes, I know there’s a boat in the morning, except there hasn’t even been that to rely on 😉)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

It is an important feeder event for the TT and an important cultural and historical event in its own right. I don't agree that fewer visitors attend each year. 

The problem the MGP has is that it will always be compared to the TT in terms of popularity. This forgets that the TT is the biggest tourist event on the island by a huge amount. Compare the MGP to any other event and it is a raging success in terms of tourism. 

If you want to can it what are you going to replace it with? Or are you purely thinking of avoiding the mild inconvenience to yourself and not really bothered about any effect on the already beleaguered hospitality industry?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Does anyone know who the rider was in yesterday's red flag incident at Ballacrye and how they are doing?

For those interested,  it was a local rider, Chris Moffitt who remains in a serious condition. As does another rider, Wayne Axon who crashed at the Creg. It's a brutal sport alright. 

Edited by La Colombe