MGP 2024

La Colombe

34 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

are you purely thinking of avoiding the mild inconvenience to yourself

Is that mild inconvenience as a member of the Great Manx Public?  Or “mild inconvenience” as an orthopaedic surgeon, on-call with the toolkit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

The Junior MGP is now 1 lap - it’s a procession and certainly not a proper race. 

With all the disruption etc and trying to condense into weekend, they will end up losing races, and in turn unhappy sponsors. It needs to go back to 2 weeks.

I thought so but the organisers have given the reason, not enough marshals or medical cover available for 2 weeks as all volunteers. Suppose you could volunteer your expertise.

45 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The problem the MGP has is that it will always be compared to the TT in terms of popularity. This forgets that the TT is the biggest tourist event on the island by a huge amount. Compare the MGP to any other event and it is a raging success in terms of tourism. 

Compared to the TT because it's the same inconvenience to everyone as the TT, for much less benefit. To their credit the disruption is much more tolerable with the revised format.

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

I thought so but the organisers have given the reason, not enough marshals or medical cover available for 2 weeks as all volunteers. Suppose you could volunteer your expertise.

That just can't be true. They say these events have never been more popular.

22 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

That just can't be true. They say these events have never been more popular.

Maybe to watch but volunteers to marshal or provide medical support is not the same as sitting on a hedge at glen Helen!!

One thing for certain   when the dust   settles there needs to be a total rethink of both the TT and MGP   are the bigger bikes  too powerful ? do they need  look to to limit BHP and cubic capacity ,  2 weeks of racing  would provide a much better buffer against poor weather   why cant we race on a tyre that is good  in the dry or wet , the organisers are infatuated with record laps , silly sighting laps , grid start  positions , wasting time  , when the purpose of racing in the TT used to be man and machine against the course  ,the object of the exercise was to test skill reliability  and stamina of rider and machine  and to quote some of the top riders of the day , to win the race  ( 6 or8 laps then )  at the lowest possible speed , no wonder its difficult to get marshals  the hours sitting around in the cold waiting for nothing to happen , I haven't even mentioned the inconvenience of the local population  and businesses  who without their support and understanding  the races could not be held  and many can't understand whats changed in the last few years  its not just the damp weather 

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

do they need  look to to limit BHP and cubic capacity ,  2 weeks of racing  would provide a much better buffer against poor weather   why cant we race on a tyre that is good  in the dry or wet

Quality post 🙄

Do you know anything at all about bikes and the TT.

What sort of tyre would you suggest?  What should they be limiting the power and CC to.

Rest assured, next year there will still be full grids at both events 

• Thanks 1

When motorbikes or any type of bikes are around you are guaranteed injuries and accidents.

Host motorcycle races on public roads and it’s even more certain. The cost to the taxpayer for each accident is astronomical and it’s not good for the health of the biker or the mental health of their family members.

There are other ways to have a quick thrill, get from A to B and/or try to impress people 🥵

3 hours ago, Banker said:

I’m not on the island, I’m in Spain soaking up the hot temperatures and sunshine. Perhaps you could?

Edited by 2112

There is a positive in the new schedule. It's selfish I know but it means we can get away for our September holiday on the 31st August which is quite good .

I'm not against the MGP and I don't mind the mild inconvenience. I have zero interest in it though and I do wonder why we bother with it sometimes. 

Hope they get a decent day tomorrow though as I know it's a big thing thing for a lots of the people from here and those that travel over. 

• Like 1