MGP 2024

La Colombe

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

If you live on the IOM and haven't discovered a way of making the road closures that have been in existence for many decades anything more than a mild inconvenience, you must be a bloody idiot

You tell ‘em, fool - nothing brings people on board quicker than calling them “bloody idiots”…

If you live on the IOM and haven't discovered a way of making the road closures that have been in existence for many decades anything more than a mild inconvenience, you must be a bloody idiot.

A member of my immediate family was in hospital, then Hospice, during this year's TT. The road closures were hardly an inconvenience, they were an absolute nightmare. They made an exceedingly difficult time even more difficult. That didn't make any of us "bloody idiots" it just made us human. 

It's a matter of personal perspective and what's currently going on in one's life that determines how much of an inconvenience - or outright nightmare - the road closures become for you.

I wouldn't wish our 2024 TT experience on anyone. It's hard enough when a loved family member is anywhere on the Nobles estate, but add in road closures and it's akin to a living hell. Yes, it was that bad. Really. 

I'm looking forward to the closures going back to being the mild inconvenience they've always been for me and my family in years past, but going forward I'll always empathise with people for whom they're horrid. And I certainly won't tell any of them that they're "bloody idiots", because I've been there. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

A member of my immediate family was in hospital, then Hospice, during this year's TT. The road closures were hardly an inconvenience, they were an absolute nightmare. They made an exceedingly difficult time even more difficult. That didn't make any of us "bloody idiots" it just made us human. 

It's a matter of personal perspective and what's currently going on in one's life that determines how much of an inconvenience - or outright nightmare - the road closures become for you.

I wouldn't wish our 2024 TT experience on anyone. It's hard enough when a loved family member is anywhere on the Nobles estate, but add in road closures and it's akin to a living hell. Yes, it was that bad. Really. 

I'm looking forward to the closures going back to being the mild inconvenience they've always been for me and my family in years past, but going forward I'll always empathise with people for whom they're horrid. And I certainly won't tell any of them that they're "bloody idiots", because I've been there. 

Believe it or not, so have I. My eldest son was born in TT week and we lived inside the course in Ramsey at the time. 

My mother spent a couple of months in hospital which included a particularly wet and delay prone TT fortnight.

I was also working full time in both cases.

You're right, it's not particularly easy, sitting in traffic is frustrating, but it is rare on the island. I've spent far longer sitting in traffic on an ordinary day in the UK. 

The point being that the TT/MGP are now only three weeks of the year, and the TT/MGP with loved ones in hospital are hopefully much fewer and further between. With that in mind, they really are just a mild inconvenience under normal circumstances- a bit like the boats not sailing or the planes not flying. 

If you really find the inconvenience of living on a windswept, foggy island which is famous for road racing that bad , then you have the rest of the world to choose from.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Believe it or not, so have I. My eldest son was born in TT week and we lived inside the course in Ramsey at the time. 

My mother spent a couple of months in hospital which included a particularly wet and delay prone TT fortnight.

You're right, it's not particularly easy, sitting in traffic is frustrating, but it is rare on the island. I've spent far longer sitting in traffic on an ordinary day in the UK. 

The point being that the TT/MGP are now only three weeks of the year, and the TT/MGP with loved ones in hospital are hopefully much fewer and further between. With that in mind, they really are just a mild inconvenience under normal circumstances- a bit like the boats not sailing or the planes not flying. 

If you really find the inconvenience of living on a windswept, foggy island which is famous for road racing that bad , then you have the rest of the world to choose from.

Assuming there's a boat in the morning, which is anything but given these days...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It was you I was telling, not "'em". You're right though, I shouldn't have called you a bloody idiot - not when it's so strikingly obviously to anyone who reads your nonsense.

The funny thing is being Manxer than you a hundred years of these English races does not make it Manx as you can't be English and Manx

39 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Go read the last paragraph of my post again. I love the island. I've lived in some pretty fantastic places in my life, but the island beats them all. I'm afraid you're stuck with me. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Congratulations on your empathy bypass and the sheer class of your post.

• Like 3

Fella, I'm not going to wish this on anyone, but trying to get to Nobles, when the roads are closed, because a family member has been rushed to A&E... that would temper your view. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Fella, I'm not going to wish this on anyone, but trying to get to Nobles, when the roads are closed, because a family member has been rushed to A&E... that would temper your view. 

Should I avoid visiting Ramsey or Port Erin for the same reason? 

Honestly, yes the situation you've described must be crap, but hopefully it's a rare occurrence and not really something you should use to inform the rest of your life.

30 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Congratulations on your empathy bypass and the sheer class of your post.

Their situation was shit, nothing I say will change that.

I do imagine though, that the dying relative was by far the worst aspect of the situation rather than a couple of roads being closed, as it was in the case of my mother in law.