MGP 2024

La Colombe

18 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It is an important feeder event for the TT and an important cultural and historical event in its own right. I don't agree that fewer visitors attend each year. 

The problem the MGP has is that it will always be compared to the TT in terms of popularity. This forgets that the TT is the biggest tourist event on the island by a huge amount. Compare the MGP to any other event and it is a raging success in terms of tourism. 

If you want to can it what are you going to replace it with? Or are you purely thinking of avoiding the mild inconvenience to yourself and not really bothered about any effect on the already beleaguered hospitality industry?

You don’t agree that fewer visitors attend each year? It doesn’t matter if you agree or not. The visitor numbers can be calculated by DfE and releasing this information would prove it. I wonder if they will, or if a FoI query would get a response other than “we haven’t counted it”. If not, why not?
This information should be available to the public and businesses who fund and tolerate the disruption of these events each year. The TT and MGP are funded by DfE entirely on the grounds of being tourism events and information that helps us gauge the performance of both is important. In my opinion, the MGP is dying a slow death, but without facts that opinion is worthless. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joebean said:

You don’t agree that fewer visitors attend each year? It doesn’t matter if you agree or not. The visitor numbers can be calculated by DfE and releasing this information would prove it. I wonder if they will, or if a FoI query would get a response other than “we haven’t counted it”. If not, why not?
This information should be available to the public and businesses who fund and tolerate the disruption of these events each year. The TT and MGP are funded by DfE entirely on the grounds of being tourism events and information that helps us gauge the performance of both is important. In my opinion, the MGP is dying a slow death, but without facts that opinion is worthless. 

OK, do we get a veto on every event that has some government funding, then?

The place could be even more miserable,  if only we had that veto.

1 hour ago, joebean said:

The figures presented have been fabricated bullshit for a number of years now IMHO, to disguise the effects that the "changes" were actually having. The MGP was being moved to a "mini TT" with TT riders/teams in order to extract revenue. But that had the effect of driving away the MGP enthusiasts and long term supporters, including the much needed marshals for the two week period. Including my German homestays who were Classic MGP fans of many years' standing.

This year, Phillips and his mates have been found out (by the weather) and bitten on the arse as is always the eventual case with arrogant meddlers.

• Like 1

Saturday's red-flagged race now to be declared a result after 1 lap.

Most of the remaining programme are to be run over 2 laps now. Maybe this is the way forward, 1 and 2 lap races, if they run.

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Saturday's red-flagged race now to be declared a result after 1 lap.

Most of the remaining programme are to be run over 2 laps now. Maybe this is the way forward, 1 and 2 lap races, if they run.

This isn’t the way forward at all, it’s an essential compromise after a spell of crap weather that takes into account the modern safety requirements.  Next year, and for years after that will be full length races if the weather plays ball.  If it doesn’t they might have to adjust the schedule again like they do at TT.

I watched the NASCAR from Michigan last week.   Delayed and disrupted by weather just the same as thousands of events worldwide every week.  Unfortunately ours involves public roads so it’s not straightforward to just reschedule.

Edited by Tinpot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hoopsaa said:

OK, do we get a veto on every event that has some government funding, then?

The place could be even more miserable,  if only we had that veto.

I’m not arguing for a veto. I’m arguing for an informed assessment. An informed assessment forms the basis of an informed opinion, after which a decision about the future of the MGP can be made. Just remember that the majority of the population don’t go out and watch the MGP races and get nothing from them but inconvenience. I honestly don’t have an opinion about the future of the event one way or another as I have my own interest, which gives me the opportunity to leave the Island for lengthy periods, but not everybody has that option. I do think the public should have the information and be able to influence future decisions. 

• Like 1