MGP 2024

La Colombe

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

“Both were arrested yesterday after twice walking on a stretch of road between Tynwald Hill and Ballacraine.” 

can someone pinpoint that on a map? Also seems a bit harsh? What was the signage like? 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/londoners-went-onto-closed-roads-twice/

Sounds like they were walking through the run-off area of the road...there's a barrier placed about 100yds back on the St John's route so bikes approaching Ballacraine can instead go straight ahead and then stop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

“Both were arrested yesterday after twice walking on a stretch of road between Tynwald Hill and Ballacraine.” 

can someone pinpoint that on a map? Also seems a bit harsh? What was the signage like? 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/londoners-went-onto-closed-roads-twice/

I thought ROAD CLOSED meant to vehicular traffic-not pedestrians.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

The central couldn’t be closer to the course , other than been in the middle of the road 😂😂😂

Well as Tinpot didn't provide any context, so I assumed he was referring to the Central in Peel.  But it still confirms my point about places being keen to say they're doing well.   And I'm glad they are and hope the free house model in an H&B-owned pub succeeds elsewhere as well, despite the Brewery's fondness for interfering with tenants when they think they're doing well.

But the position of the Central in Ramsey may also explain why they may do better than some others on the Course, because it is outside it and accessible from elsewhere when the roads are closed.

(I'm also fascinated that, as one of their previous pubs,  they are still using a Castletown Ale-style logo, despite that brewery closing in 1986.  Though I seem to remember Okells continued to brew something called that for a while after).

So the weather has been given fine for the rest of the week , what a pity the MGP was not run using the tested and tried format.   Who are these idiots who decided to mess with the programme?     The story that they are coming out with now about lack of Marshalls is due to losing a lot of experienced Marshalls because of their idiotic changes the medical cover has never been a problem before.    Why are these people being allowed to ruin our Island we have little enough attractions to encourage tourism god only knows.   The Government seem to be oblivious to everything that is going on their don’t care attitude is a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

So the weather has been given fine for the rest of the week , what a pity the MGP was not run using the tested and tried format.   Who are these idiots who decided to mess with the programme?     The story that they are coming out with now about lack of Marshalls is due to losing a lot of experienced Marshalls because of their idiotic changes the medical cover has never been a problem before.    Why are these people being allowed to ruin our Island we have little enough attractions to encourage tourism god only knows.   The Government seem to be oblivious to everything that is going on their don’t care attitude is a disgrace.

I think that opinion assumes that the MMCC, ACUE, the marshals organisation and those responsible for organising medical cover either don’t know what they are talking about, or are lying and you have the relevant information to form your judgement. 🤔

I think I’ll trust what John McBride says. He will be motivated to ensure the event carries on and his advice on this has been consistent. As I have said here before, the enthusiasts tend to be very habitual attenders who want to repeat the same experience, by and large, every year. They are enthusiastic about the event as it is and far less enthusiastic about what it might be and, as a result are not likely to accept change favourably. This year’s event has been hit by particularly bad weather. The organisers will be hoping that doesn’t repeat itself annually. The one thing they don’t seem able to change is the ageing demographic of the visitors. That is likely to have a bigger impact on future numbers of visitors than the length of the event. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

I've been marshaling over 25 years now, starting only with the MGP because even in the 90s they were starting to get short of marshals. I started doing the TT as well in around 2014, as they too began to have marshal shortages particularly at the start and end. Worked my way up the food chain too.

This year's MGP could well be a disaster, in terms of putting people off coming next time. Not only shitty weather and less contingency, changes in format, as well as boat cancellations (even chucking a boat load of people out of the sea terminal into the rain I heard). This could lead to far fewer visitors and marshals next year, nevermind the fact that the average age of marshals increases every year. It is worrying, and they need to do some proper research and surveys if they want to save the events.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the position of the Central in Ramsey may also explain why they may do better than some others on the Course, because it is outside it and accessible from elsewhere when the roads are closed.

The Raven is accessible from elsewhere too - keep digging🤣

If you listen to the interview, the guy says its busy during road closures and it was after racing that it was quiet. Probably due to Ballaugh being a small village with little or no accommodation now the campsite has closed.

Edited by piebaps

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though I seem to remember Okells continued to brew something called that for a while after

They did for a while.

Bushys do a Castletown Bitter these days, and very nice it is too.

The people who dreamed up this new programme have now seen the downside of their idea it is a great pity they have not the grace to admit it is not workable due to our climate and go back to the tried and tested two weeks.    This is the view of many of the public.   This apathetic government which we are enduring have had a fair few fails in their tenure up to now surely they do no want to score another one with the demise of the MGP.   As for Marshalls a reduced boat ticket sponsored by the Government would surely encourage people in partaking.    It would pay in the end after all they have plenty of money to sponsor builders to build posh apartments that the average Joe cannot afford.   

I spoke with several marshals yesterday, everyone said the new format does not work   ,there is no flexibility  if the weather is bad and  you dont get any days off to go and explore the island and have a meal and a beer , in face they all said if it does not change back they are not coming again ,you cant expect government and the motorsport division to  back track  they are always right and never will admit to making  a mistake ,even with the possible  risk of the demise and possible end to the MGP, 

• Like 3