MGP 2024

La Colombe

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Perhaps they weren't idiots. Maybe they were sensible adults who simply did not know. I've had a look online and can't see that they have been charged or convicted. The sound bite also refers to finding themselves in a police cell rather than in court. Maybe a conviction will be reported in due course or I have missed it. Or maybe they weren't idiots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Are you allowed to use whats app while driving on a closed road? That would be handy!

I don’t understand this post.

Yes you can legally send a receive WhatsApp messages when driving on open roads though if that’s why you mean in the majority of cars built since about 2018 or those that have been upgraded to support CarPlay or android auto.

I think there is enough information for people to know that going on closed roads is forbidden and a criminal offence. It’s repeated constantly on the commentary - which almost everyone can hear (radios and smartphones as well as loudspeakers in popular areas). My only concern is that the NW200 organisers allow people on the course in between races - so someone that attends that event and then the TT/MGP could be confused. I wish the ACU and NW200 organisers could be consistent.  But I still don’t feel there’s any excuse to go on closed roads on the IOM during TT and MGP. 

21 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

I think there is enough information for people to know that going on closed roads is forbidden and a criminal offence. It’s repeated constantly on the commentary - which almost everyone can hear (radios and smartphones as well as loudspeakers in popular areas). My only concern is that the NW200 organisers allow people on the course in between races - so someone that attends that event and then the TT/MGP could be confused. I wish the ACU and NW200 organisers could be consistent.  But I still don’t feel there’s any excuse to go on closed roads on the IOM during TT and MGP. 

The NW200 and TT are very different events in terms of the area that needs to be covered for clear comms. NW200 is a 9 mile course, TT 37 miles.

While they might cover the same number of race events, I think we have the right attitude to roads opening (only at tea-times and usually only at certain crossing points). Opening in between races would end up with chaos and confusion with sporadic timings, because when a race is won, others are often only heading out on their final lap, and there are sometimes flags which cause lengthy restarts etc.

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

‎Follow the Manx Grand Prix channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VajCIP70VycEJkGBqX2g

Thank you.  I hadn’t seen this publicised anywhere.

It worked brilliantly in TT week so should hopefully remove any excuse people have to moan about having up to date information but the organisers obviously need to make sure people know it exists.

Edited by Tinpot

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The NW200 and TT are very different events in terms of the area that needs to be covered for clear comms. NW200 is a 9 mile course, TT 37 miles.

While they might cover the same number of race events, I think we have the right attitude to roads opening (only at tea-times and usually only at certain crossing points). Opening in between races would end up with chaos and confusion with sporadic timings, because when a race is won, others are often only heading out on their final lap, and there are sometimes flags which cause lengthy restarts etc.

I agree. Apologies if my post wasn’t clear, when I say consistency I mean for the NW to be more IOM TT with regards to spectators in closed roads.