Manx financial scam: Chinese Filipino Boilerhouse

Chinahand

Not good headlines from the BBC for the Island's reputation as a well managed jurisdiction. 

Having organised crime use the Island to set up their scamming Boilerhouses is bad enough but also to have the investigation to be exposed via that paragon of openness, the Chinese judicial system, is in some ways worse. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz6x1ql1yelo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, asitis said:

I'm amazed that this stuff gets past the regulator, when the respectable financial services companies are examined anally by the FSA !

Seems to show they aren't fit for purpose... also hoping you meant annually

Edited by Passing Time
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Seems to show they aren't fit for purpose... also hoping you meant annually

No I meany anally, they crawl up your ass looking for mice, whilst the buffalo are charging past !

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

It certainly doesn’t reflect at all well on the island. I remember the days when the joke was that Athol Street was shady on both sides. Has much really changed?

The fact that they also completely sucked in the Government, a number of politicians and a raft of civil servants reflects equally badly, although their teflon coatings will no doubt protect them as usual.

I also wonder how long it would have been before the money ran out the construction of their mega campus. On that point I fully support Charles Guard’s suggestion that any commercial development should have to lodge a substantial bond with the Government so that in the event it goes tits up, we aren’t left with yet another unfinished building site.

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Manx Bean said:

I also wonder how long it would have been before the money ran out the construction of their mega campus. On that point I fully support Charles Guard’s suggestion that any commercial development should have to lodge a substantial bond with the Government so that in the event it goes tits up, we aren’t left with yet another unfinished building site.

Good way to stive off any building works/investment 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think there's an immigration scam linked to this, which wouldn't show us in a good light at all. We could be the Labour sacrificial lamb, showing that they are tackling illegal migration!

There may well be an immigration scam involved, but it will involve 'legal' immigration not illegal stuff.   According to ONS for the UK:

Long-term net migration (the number of people immigrating minus the number emigrating) was provisionally estimated to be 685,000 in the year ending (YE) December 2023, compared with our updated estimate of 764,000 for the YE December 2022

So that's a total of 1,449,000 in just two years.  On the other hand:

In 2023 as a whole, 29,437 people came to the UK in small boats.  That was a big drop from the 2022 total of 45,755, external, which was the highest since figures were first collected in 2018.

So that's a total of 75,192 or about 5% of the total.  But which one do you hear more about?