Manx financial scam: Chinese Filipino Boilerhouse

Chinahand

9 hours ago, Last Ten said:

I believe the FSA employs many retired Cops, so how did this slip their beady eyes??

FCU/FIU possibly. The BBC say their investigation has been going on for a year.  We do not know how long the authorities here have been investigating or co-operating with other agencies.

Not sure how far the FSA is involved, the regulator is the GSC. 

10 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Haha, the same cops who ran up (how many thousands was it?) in overtime to not catch a spree of small time burglars a few years ago?

This lot probably got away with their international scamming by keeping their road tax in date and making sure that both side lights were working on their car.

#notherberts.

Thats correct. The same cops who responded to live burglaries with sirens blaring all the way from the Nick to the burgled house. You know, to give the burglars a warning to escape. Poor police would have far too much paperwork if they actually caught them of course

#herberts

Edited by Maugholdmafia
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Last Ten said:

I believe the FSA employs many retired Cops, so how did this slip their beady eyes??

Probably because the entities in question are regulated by the GSC and not the FSA.  Your question might still be pertinent if the GSC employs retired cops.

It’s pretty obvious that many agencies, primarily the GSC, have been found to be asleep at the wheel. It’s no surprise that the CEO of the GSC has stepped down already, but given King’s involvement at a high level in terms of sponsorships, I’m sure there’s a lot more in the gov who are crapping themselves. 

Given that the owners and management of king / the group were such a bunch of super heartless cruel b***ards, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d gone the extra mile in terms of bribery, thinking they wouldn’t ever get stopped here.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2112 said:

It would be very interesting to see the level of schmoozing that IOMG has done with this outfit - King, and also how much grants, loans or other assistance. How much has the taxpayer lost in terms of tax receipts and NI receipt payments? 

That's covered by some commercial confidentiality clause no doubt. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

That's covered by some commercial confidentiality clause no doubt. 

The usual excuse.

What I would like to know is the human aspect especially all these people brought to the island. Were they paying tax and NI? Or were they totally under the radar? King Gaming must have left lots of debts when the racket was rumbled and their offices raided in April 2024. 

Just now, 2112 said:

The usual excuse.

What I would like to know is the human aspect especially all these people brought to the island. Were they paying tax and NI? Or were they totally under the radar? King Gaming must have left lots of debts when the racket was rumbled and their offices raided in April 2024. 

And were they here of their own free will? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, manxkinho said:

It’s pretty obvious that many agencies, primarily the GSC, have been found to be asleep at the wheel. It’s no surprise that the CEO of the GSC has stepped down already

The CEO of the GSC announced his retirement several months before King were raided. He’s been in government for 40 odd years, he’s genuinely retiring.

Beyond that, I’m not sure what the pearl clutching is about.

Regulators can’t do things without evidence.  Nor can the police for that matter. For King’s offices to be raided there will have been many months of investigation to get sufficient evidence to justify the raid. As soon as King’s offices were raided the licence was revoked.

In short, police raids come at the end of a long investigation, not at the start.

27 minutes ago, manxkinho said:

it wouldn’t surprise me if they’d gone the extra mile in terms of bribery

Given the police smashed their back doors in at 6am, I’m going to go with “no bribery”.

17 minutes ago, 2112 said:

King Gaming must have left lots of debts when the racket was rumbled and their offices raided in April 2024. 

How these things usually work is that the police get a secret court order freezing all the company’s money a few days in advance. That order then comes into effect as soon as they smash the doors in.

So if the company had money in their bank account it will have been frozen and only the court can then allow the money to be released. So creditors should eventually get paid if the company actually had the money in the first place. But it won’t be quick.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think there's an immigration scam linked to this, which wouldn't show us in a good light at all. We could be the Labour sacrificial lamb, showing that they are tackling illegal migration!

I think the gaming scam might have been as a result of the number of immigration illegalities.

And I found this statement from MR quite interesting:

Seven people were arrested and released on bail; a number of people on the premises of Victoria Road were subject to further immigration interviews including the Isle of Man Immigration Service.

UNQUOTE

Is it me or is that suggesting that the immigration service itself is under investigation?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

How these things usually work is that the police get a secret court order freezing all the company’s money a few days in advance. That order then comes into effect as soon as they smash the doors in.

So if the company had money in their bank account it will have been frozen and only the court can then allow the money to be released. So creditors should eventually get paid if the company actually had the money in the first place. But it won’t be quick.

I would surmise that there will be many outstanding debts, and would be very surprised if IOMG/Treasury weren’t owed for tax/NI etc. I doubt that creditors will be paid - if the bank accounts are unfrozen, they may use the monies as proceeds of crime, and used to pay the victims of criminal activity. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think the gaming scam might have been as a result of the number of immigration illegalities.

And I found this statement from MR quite interesting:

Seven people were arrested and released on bail; a number of people on the premises of Victoria Road were subject to further immigration interviews including the Isle of Man Immigration Service.

UNQUOTE

Is it me or is that suggesting that the immigration service itself is under investigation?

No, it's accidently ambiguous and would be clearer if it read "including by the" etc.  But not even our Immigration Service would be incompetent enough to employ people who had the wrong immigration status.

That's not to say that there aren't a lot of questions that are going have to be answered regarding the way that immigration and visas have been handled over recent years, but that will be more about our more relaxed regulations than the UK and those who should be questioned are the ones who came up with those regulations rather than than the overworked staff having to operate them.

It's been obvious since the initial raids in April that there was a link between this case and the explosion in visa numbers.  But it's also clear that there a big effort made to make sure that as little of the embarrassing information about it comes out.