Manx financial scam: Chinese Filipino Boilerhouse

Chinahand

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Whilst both King and Dalmine were regulated, other companies weren’t. Champion Tech, the subject of that employment tribunal, were not regulated. Nor were Manx Internet Commerce, the subject of the BBC article.

Regulators don’t have the power to look outside of the entities they are regulating. It’s the same with the FSA and it’s also why CURA are pretty much powerless to do anything about Manx Gas.

If, for any reason, unlicensed activity is suspected, the GSC have the power to take a look and inspect them. If they had any kind of intelligence that this was indeed the case, they could have taken a more in depth look.

I find it hard to believe that they didn’t have any intelligence of something being off.

It feels like they decided to look the other way for whatever reason.

Its coming back to bite them now, I suspect….

• Like 2

They were the poster boys for IOMG, especially with their campus being built. I’m sure IOMG and Starship Enterprise will have another firm favourite business to lavish praise, attention and support.

• Like 1

This is an opaque world that most of us have no knowledge of. A Chinese criminal enterprise operating out of the Isle of Man, undercover of 'legitimate' business and wholly supported and part financed by Manx government and its administrators. Have I got that right ?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

This is an opaque world that most of us have no knowledge of. A Chinese criminal enterprise operating out of the Isle of Man, undercover of 'legitimate' business and wholly supported and part financed by Manx government and its administrators. Have I got that right ?  

Have they been financed by IOMG? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, manxkinho said:

If, for any reason, unlicensed activity is suspected, the GSC have the power to take a look and inspect them. If they had any kind of intelligence that this was indeed the case, they could have taken a more in depth look.

I find it hard to believe that they didn’t have any intelligence of something being off.

It feels like they decided to look the other way for whatever reason.

Its coming back to bite them now, I suspect….

That's what I meant really.  Regulation is meaningless if those being regulated are effectively able to restrict what can be looked at by the use of related companies.  As for when they acted, if the Chinese prosecutions were last year as the BBC states, then not acting till April seems slow.  There's a danger of 'tipping-off' with early action I suppose, but delay also gives the chance for the suspected to escape, move and hide money and destroy evidence.  As I said in April the GSC's News section gives the impression of an organisation that has just woken up after years of slumber.

Meanwhile Locate IOM is still promoting migration with the case of Tek Min who came from Malaysia with his wife to work for Champion Tech.  Wonder how that's going.  (He also mentions Davison's Ice Cream twice - it's amazing the Dorlings didn't demand its immediate removal).

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile Locate IOM is still promoting migration with the case of Tek Min who came from Malaysia with his wife to work for Champion Tech.  Wonder how that's going.  (He also mentions Davison's Ice Cream twice - it's amazing the Dorlings didn't demand its immediate removal).

Looks like that piece has a photo shoot from the top of a building on Bucks Road. 

Edited by Gladys

I rather think this may well be another well worn case of IoM government departments not talking to one another. I can't imagine that between all the data we have within Immigration, the Gaming Regulator, Dept for Enterprise, Locate Isle of Man, the Tax Office and a myriad of other related parties that no-one ever thought that Chinese companies and large amounts of money suddenly rocking up in the middle of the Irish Sea didn't warrant an overly cautious eye and an inquisitive bit of due diligence.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I rather think this may well be another well worn case of IoM government departments not talking to one another. I can't imagine that between all the data we have within Immigration, the Gaming Regulator, Dept for Enterprise, Locate Isle of Man, the Tax Office and a myriad of other related parties that no-one ever thought that Chinese companies and large amounts of money suddenly rocking up in the middle of the Irish Sea didn't warrant an overly cautious eye and an inquisitive bit of due diligence.  

"The Isle of Man - Where you Can"....

One might wonder if our authorities assisted and/or supplied evidence to the prosecuting Chinese authorities in their pursuit of these now convicted?

49 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Makes you wonder what feck they talk about in these CEO's meetings they have every week/month!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Makes you wonder what feck they talk about in these CEO's meetings they have every week/month!

They know what's going on. Of course they do. They just choose to ignore it. Then claim they didn't know. It's hard to prove in a court of law.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They know what's going on. Of course they do. They just choose to ignore it. Then claim they didn't know. It's hard to prove in a court of law.

It may be hard to prove, however, a court of law may establish that certain individuals of high seniority should have known, or made it their mission to check what’s going on. 

• Like 1

Whatever we think we know or say the government should have known etc, these sophisticated frauds are operated all over the world on larger or smaller scales and it’s impossible to stop everyone. Regulators or police can’t just call in at every place foreigners are staying and check if they’re fraudsters or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

Regulators or police can’t just call in at every place foreigners are staying and check if they’re fraudsters or not.

And even if they could they’d not find anything much without seizing computers and forensically analysing them. The sort of effort which requires something a bit more tangible than a suspicion it smells a bit off.

It’s almost as though fraudsters will mingle genuine legitimate business in with their scams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1