Street View car?

ed fournier

The Mrs. and I were out for a gander earlier. Just a nice walk here and there.

As we were walking in Crosby we were passed by a car with a large 360 camera mounted on the roof.  Our daughter also saw this car yesterday around the harbour in Douglas. 

Anybody know what this is?  Can’t see anything about updates on Google or Apple sites.

Edited by ed fournier

Why would Google or Apple pay for a car to map a street when everyone is constantly sharing photos and location data, it is not 2010 anymore streetview is legacy tech, so more likely the DOI - https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=54.1843774&lng=-4.5645344&z=17&pKey=915256389042849&x=0.9836512810888938&y=0.386667907889839&zoom=0.8891432111461957&focus=photo

Edited by HiVibes

13 hours ago, ed fournier said:

The Mrs. and I were out for a gander earlier. Just a nice walk here and there.

As we were walking in Crosby we were passed by a car with a large 360 camera mounted on the roof.  Our daughter also saw this car yesterday around the harbour in Douglas. 

Anybody know what this is?  Can’t see anything about updates on Google or Apple sites.

Most of the Google Street View stuff is about 10 years old now, so due an update.

It's the new DoI Car Tax camera.

£250K all in.

It is hoped the car will raise £500K a year finding untaxed cars used as taxis while parked at at COSTA outlets.

Martin Moore has been asked for comment and he says 'money would be better spent chasing real crims and pervs'.

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Most of the Google Street View stuff is about 10 years old now, so due an update.

It's still got Richmond Hill roadworks on it.  How long has that been since it was properly finis.... oh, wait.

12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The aerial view on Google is also over a decade out of date.

Street View about 12 years old. 

..where as Google Maps might be about 18months slow.

Google Earth App on my Apple shows an image of my house that is less than a year old  - but drop into Street View and it's over a decade old.

Just now, x-in-man said:

..where as Google Maps might be about 18months slow.

Google Earth App on my Apple shows an image of my house that is less than a year old  - but drop into Street View and it's over a decade old.

My old gaff both aerial and street view are at least 10 years out. 

Doesn't IOMG own the aerial stuff or something ?

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

My old gaff both aerial and street view are at least 10 years out. 

Doesn't IOMG own the aerial stuff or something ?

What aerial view are you looking at?

Google and Apple are both pretty recent.  Certainly not ten years old?

Rather than survey a street using a man in a flourescent jacket, a couple of tripods and a theodolite thing it is possible to do the job in a few minutes by using a car with a camera. Full 3d with measurements to withing a few millimitres.