Manx Social Media Regulation

The state controlled media outlet this morning has given airtime to ex Chief Constable Gary Roberts, who is now in charge of the Small Countries Financial Management Programme. He is bemoaning the fact that more needs to be done to teach young people about social media, and especially the difference between facts and misinformation. 

What’s clearly rattled Gary Roberts? This particular ‘charity’ is active in the press and visible pre-Tynpotwald Day in early July. Has someone made an allegation? 

In some respects it is admirable that this course is trying to teach civil servants from small countries correct financial management and best practices, but are we also trying to hide transparency - hallmarks in a dictatorship/one rule state, where free speech is denied? I bet both IOMG and the Police would love extra regulation preventing discussion, and free speech of IOM affairs. 

The article -

Charity director keen to see greater regulation

The director of a charity that works to help developing nations grow their finance sectors wants to see greater regulation of social media.

Gary Roberts, from the Small Countries Financial Management Programme, says more needs to be done to teach young people about social media and understanding the difference between facts and misinformation.

Ensuring decisions are made based on evidence is part of the work the charity does with small jurisdictions, including how to identify whether what's posted on social media is accurate.

Mr Roberts says it's an area that needs to be tackled:

Edited by 2112

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The state controlled media outlet this morning has given airtime to ex Chief Constable Gary Roberts, who is now in charge of the Small Countries Financial Management Programme. He is bemoaning the fact that more needs to be done to teach young people about social media, and especially the difference between facts and misinformation. 

What’s clearly rattled Gary Roberts? This particular ‘charity’ is active in the press and visible pre-Tynpotwald Day in early July. Has someone made an allegation? 

In some respects it is admirable that this course is trying to teach civil servants from small countries correct financial management and best practices, but are we also trying to hide transparency - hallmarks in a dictatorship/one rule state, where free speech is denied?

The article -

Charity director keen to see greater regulation

The director of a charity that works to help developing nations grow their finance sectors wants to see greater regulation of social media.

Gary Roberts, from the Small Countries Financial Management Programme, says more needs to be done to teach young people about social media and understanding the difference between facts and misinformation.

Ensuring decisions are made based on evidence is part of the work the charity does with small jurisdictions, including how to identify whether what's posted on social media is accurate.

Mr Roberts says it's an area that needs to be tackled:

How do we know this story is even genuine and isn't fake social media news? 🤔

• Haha 7

Just now, Hairy Poppins said:

How do we know this story is even genuine and isn't fake social media news? 🤔

Yes you have a point, but I would guess, it’s a definite story, especially coming from an establishment figure, with a vested interest. 

Knowing him as I do, I don't think this is anything new. It stems from his old job, and not in a control freakery sort of way.

It's nothing to do with free speech - he is challenging the misinformation and disinformation that is out there. Making decisions on incorrect information and intelligence leads to adverse outcomes. You can counter that with due diligence and corroboration, but most young people won't. Bearing in mind the algorithms at play on SM, they can very quickly become boxed into an echo chamber. At the extreme this leads to radicalisation.

Cops have a mantra; accept nothing, believe nothing, challenge everything. Teaching that more widely would be a start.

• Like 4

Personally, I think his topic should have been 'Credibility'.

He's a good fit for an organisation such as this at this moment in time, with the given that he's an honest law abiding man.

But with the recent King Gaming and other associated financial shenanigans, this island needs to be giving out a lot more reassurance that it's regulators are doing a good job - and he should IMO be publicising this. There are potentially hundreds of jobs at stake if the island starts to get black-listed.

Anyone can talk about misinformation on social media, and they already do, in droves. It's not even in the remit of this organisation in my book.

...and he should be talking about  robust regulation on Radio 4, not Manx Radio- as otherwise he might as well be talking to himself in the kitchen.

...though I agree that there are many in government that would rather people say nothing, keep heads down, and hope it all gets forgotten.

45 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Knowing him as I do, I don't think this is anything new. It stems from his old job, and not in a control freakery sort of way.

It's nothing to do with free speech - he is challenging the misinformation and disinformation that is out there. Making decisions on incorrect information and intelligence leads to adverse outcomes. You can counter that with due diligence and corroboration, but most young people won't. Bearing in mind the algorithms at play on SM, they can very quickly become boxed into an echo chamber. At the extreme this leads to radicalisation.

Cops have a mantra; accept nothing, believe nothing, challenge everything. Teaching that more widely would be a start.

I think older people are just as (if not more) likely to get suckered into believing everything they see on social media, definitely not just a young person problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

He probably knows sod all about international finance, so picked something easy to talk about.

Sounds about right. The favourite topic on such occasions of course is dog mess on pavements. There's not a politician in the land who couldn't wax lyrical their esteemed wisdom on the matter. The analogy is interesting as there is, and always will be it seems, dog muck on our pavements.

• Like 1

From the news article headline:

'Something needs to be done' to tackle misinformation on social media"

And the sub-headline:

"Charity director keen to see greater regulation "

From the audio:

"I think European Union is about to take some big steps towards regulating social media. It will be interesting to see how it works, but I think something needs to be done"

I do not think that the sub-headline is justified from the contents of the audio, as the "something needs to be done" refers to the tackling of misinformation, which he mentions earlier in the clip, and not necessarily about regulation.

In my opinion - but that could be misinterpreted.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

He probably knows sod all about international finance, so picked something easy to talk about.

In fairness, and seeing the whole thing took up an inordinate amount of constabulary time, he was pretty sharp on the subject.

54 minutes ago, WTF said:

or as other people call it ,  personal opinions that don't suit the states mantra.

Which is fine, when its evidence-based.

Whenever I hear government bodies, quangos etc, talking about misinformation,  I think about the Hunter Biden laptop, about certain aspects of covid, about the weapons of mass destruction that Iraq had, etc etc, and I think 'why would I trust you to tell me what is misinformation?'.

Those who have power, who control power, have a lot more reason to lie then me.

• Like 6

Something has clearly rattled Gary Roberts for him to make his pronouncements. Was he stirred by the BBC report on King Gaming. Has someone from IOMG encouraged him to speak out? I have only heard the SCFMP publicised in early July, usually in the local press, with stories, heaping praise on IOMG by civil servants from the likes of small African and Caribbean nations.