Manx Social Media Regulation

On 9/1/2024 at 8:06 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

He probably knows sod all about international finance, so picked something easy to talk about.

I think the former police chief constable would be better  for everyone if he was paid a job to report back on where the money we give to Overseas Aid actually goes.

Give him a decent wage, worldwide travel, and report back.

Win win you would think.

It won't happen though, Tynwald signs off the millions.....the emotional blackmail box is ticked, virtue is signalled, Westminster having gone through the same process is happy. Only people not too happy are those of us who aren't quite sure just where OUR money goes.

Oh but it's "Overseas Aid" it must be ok and nice

If Tynwald can't employ people who can look after the spending/overspending on Steam Packet and associated facilities, or even Douglas Promenade refurb, then how do we expect our government to have a handle on their virtuous virtue signalling so-called overseas aid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Should be 0.7%.

The point is that when our economy is doing well we give more and when it is doing badly we give less. But it should be 0.7%

Allan Bell promised to increase overseas aid 'when conditions allow". 

Alf Cannan doesn't even mention it. There have been no Annual Reports since 2018-19.

Half the last tax rise.

When the government cuts its cloth, starts putting more back into the reserves, I think it should be achievable only then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casta said:

I think the former police chief constable would be better  for everyone if he was paid a job to report back on where the money we give to Overseas Aid actually goes.

Give him a decent wage, worldwide travel, and report back.

Win win you would think.

It won't happen though, Tynwald signs off the millions.....the emotional blackmail box is ticked, virtue is signalled, Westminster having gone through the same process is happy. Only people not too happy are those of us who aren't quite sure just where OUR money goes.

Oh but it's "Overseas Aid" it must be ok and nice

If Tynwald can't employ people who can look after the spending/overspending on Steam Packet and associated facilities, or even Douglas Promenade refurb, then how do we expect our government to have a handle on their virtuous virtue signalling so-called overseas aid.

some of it appears to go to indias space program 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

You will never stop "false information" on the internet

It’s beyond the IOM’s power but if you make Meta and Twitter financially responsible for their misinformation and their scammy advertisers it’d stop PDQ. Pretty much every advert I see on Instagram these days is a scam.

That, and start treating the likes of Andrew Tate as the dangerous terrorists they are. Him and Anjem Chaudary are two cheeks of the same arse.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 3:22 PM, WTF said:

some of it appears to go to indias space program 

Who knows where it goes, it seems that once the cash leaves the bank our politicians forget about it, and they convince themselves to sleep well that night. I am sure there will be token feedback but I'd like to see a bit more than that.

Like various information, where this money exactly goes and what becomes of it appears to be on a need to know basis, and I would not trust some of these 'need to knowers' as far as I can throw them.

Back on topic, rather than control what information can and cannot get out there, perhaps the dumbasses who are not able to deduce likes of scams and bs should be taught the skills to recognise them.

I don't remember any coppers down in the pub, back in the day, listening to what was being said and stepping in to stop what they perceived should not be heard or discussed. Had there been, they would have been given short shift.

Edited by Casta

If a yer man is at a bit of a loose end, he could use his skills and at the same time make an absolute shed load of cash for the Treasury. Just sit at Quarter Bridge in teh morning and clock all the drivers on their mobile phones.

What could be done, is set up a bit of a false roadblock and then within a few minutes everyone in the traffic phones up the office to say they'll be a klittle bit late.

It's a win win situation.

• Like 1

If they are so concerned about how inaccurate social media is and how accurately we must treat sources like Manx Radio and IOM Newspapers maybe Cabinet Office or the DOI would like to explain how their “operational issues” which have removed a huge number of buses off routes this weekend massively inconveniencing bus users always seem to coincide with a large cruse ships coming in to Douglas? 

Are we expected to believe the official press releases issued to service users are fact. Or do we actually deduce that the DOI and government spin doctors are lying their ass off yet again and half of what we read on social media is probably right (again). 

Edited by Luker
Typo
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

If a yer man is at a bit of a loose end, he could use his skills and at the same time make an absolute shed load of cash for the Treasury. Just sit at Quarter Bridge in teh morning and clock all the drivers on their mobile phones.

What could be done, is set up a bit of a false roadblock and then within a few minutes everyone in the traffic phones up the office to say they'll be a klittle bit late.

It's a win win situation.

prior to WW2 the sign was on the cover of all Rudyard Kiplings  Jungle books and was adopted as a symbol of the Boy Scout movement , it represents the sun and  brings the dawn , the Nazi version is  running the other way around ,