more waste of money from Douglas city council

Omobono

I had my usual walk along the Douglas promenade  and there piled up were a number of futuristic highly modern designed   benches   which I understand will be replacing the existing  comfortable seating which is all along the seaside of the Loch promenade , there are  NO  backs on these benches so you will not be able to sit back relax and enjoy the sunshine  , as a design they are totally out of keeping for a Victorian  period promenade and only fit for one person  , 

you have to ask yourself  who in the city hall   selects  and ultimately approves the purchase of these things or is this preparing us for the £1.5 million  children's playground and themed gardens , Winter and the equinox storms will be with us in a few weeks , you have to question  the City fathers continued waste of money , there is nothing wrong with the  comfortable and adequate seating  that is there already ,so please stop wasting the ratepayers money   !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

I had my usual walk along the Douglas promenade  and there piled up were a number of futuristic highly modern designed   benches   which I understand will be replacing the existing  comfortable seating which is all along the seaside of the Loch promenade , there are  NO  backs on these benches so you will not be able to sit back relax and enjoy the sunshine  , as a design they are totally out of keeping for a Victorian  period promenade and only fit for one person  , 

you have to ask yourself  who in the city hall   selects  and ultimately approves the purchase of these things or is this preparing us for the £1.5 million  children's playground and themed gardens , Winter and the equinox storms will be with us in a few weeks , you have to question  the City fathers continued waste of money , there is nothing wrong with the  comfortable and adequate seating  that is there already ,so please stop wasting the ratepayers money   !

A classic case of “ if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

Or is it we’ve saved some money by implementing a shitty fortnightly refuse collection. What can we spend it on? Oh I know, some shitty benches perhaps?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably it's like the uncomfortable seating in bus shelters.  It's to make sure wholly imaginary tramps don't clutter up the place.  Or indeed any actual real human beings, who they disapprove of even more.

It'll be to ensure that MGP fans turfed out of the Sea Terminal late at night don't have anywhere to sleep, forcing them to book into the abundant hotel accommodation available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They get away with this mindless spending because it ain’t their money so no second thoughts.  The amazing thing is no one challenges them, yes there are complaints on here and IOM News and Politics perhaps FB but that is it there is no one with fire in their belly to challenge overspending in Local Politics or in National Politics.   We don’t have any journalists or media prepared to raise their heads above the parapet so we have to sit back and shake our heads in disbelief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

They get away with this mindless spending because it ain’t their money so no second thoughts.  The amazing thing is no one challenges them, yes there are complaints on here and IOM News and Politics perhaps FB but that is it there is no one with fire in their belly to challenge overspending in Local Politics or in National Politics.   We don’t have any journalists or media prepared to raise their heads above the parapet so we have to sit back and shake our heads in disbelief.

Have you ever met anyone involved in local politics who isn’t an absolute dickhead? That’s the main problem. Dickheads. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Omobono said:

15 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I saw a photo of the bench on twitter the other day. The people responsible for choosing those are fucking dickheads. 

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

A classic case of “ if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

Or is it we’ve saved some money by implementing a shitty fortnightly refuse collection. What can we spend it on? Oh I know, some shitty benches perhaps?

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably it's like the uncomfortable seating in bus shelters.  It's to make sure wholly imaginary tramps don't clutter up the place.  Or indeed any actual real human beings, who they disapprove of even more.

There’s an entire thread on here. All 7 pages of it. October 2023 when it was announced.

Looks as if waste management, collection and recycling may be centralised and removed from local authority control.