Autumn COVID booster jabs-Where next?

Moghrey Mie

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Only slightly off topic, but I learned yesterday that the number one reason for people refusing blood transfusions is not religious reasons, nor is it worry about HIV etc following the infected blood scandal, but is in fact that they can't be assured that the donor hadn't been vaccinated for covid

Further evidence that Darwin’s natural selection theory is still in play in the 21st century?

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo
  • Like 3

It's worth pointing out just how useless the Manx Radio story is as information.  It doesn't say when the boosters will start to be delivered  or to who exactly or how or when people will be informed.  Never mind the technical details of what vaccine(s) etc or what people should do to get in touch.  It's difficult to see what the point is except to tell us where some of the vaccination will be done (but not permanently).

There's also some very confusing stuff about another vaccination being offered this Autumn:

[Manx Care is] also preparing to deliver a newly-commissioned respiratory syncytial virus vaccine this month for those aged 75-79 and pregnant women.

The virus can cause bronchiolitis and lead to a significant increase in admissions on the children's ward, particularly during autumn.

You may wonders why they are vaccinating the elderly to prevent the children's wards filling up.  The elderly are being vaccinated for their own benefit, but pregnant women are being targeted because:

The best way to protect babies against RSV infection is for the mother to have the vaccine during pregnancy. Vaccination reduces the risk of severe RSV lung infection by around 70% in the first six months of life.

It's to protect these young babies from ending up in hospital that it's being given.  But you wouldn't know it from Manx Radio.

To be fair, this incoherence may not really be the fault of Manx Radio but of Manx Care's communications team.  There's about six of them - it's impossible to find out details or even how to contact them or who they are.  And as usual the more 'communications professionals' involved, the less useful information is available.

9 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Just because you have decided that you are not going to have any more Covid jabs does not make you an anti-vax person.   It is a personal decision and I think there are a great number of people that are thinking  this way for many different reasons.

I was specifically referring to actual anti-xavvers not those that have been vaccinated but not choosing to get boosters.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's worth pointing out just how useless the Manx Radio story is as information.  It doesn't say when the boosters will start to be delivered  or to who exactly or how or when people will be informed.  Never mind the technical details of what vaccine(s) etc or what people should do to get in touch.  It's difficult to see what the point is except to tell us where some of the vaccination will be done (but not permanently).

There's also some very confusing stuff about another vaccination being offered this Autumn:

[Manx Care is] also preparing to deliver a newly-commissioned respiratory syncytial virus vaccine this month for those aged 75-79 and pregnant women.

The virus can cause bronchiolitis and lead to a significant increase in admissions on the children's ward, particularly during autumn.

You may wonders why they are vaccinating the elderly to prevent the children's wards filling up.  The elderly are being vaccinated for their own benefit, but pregnant women are being targeted because:

The best way to protect babies against RSV infection is for the mother to have the vaccine during pregnancy. Vaccination reduces the risk of severe RSV lung infection by around 70% in the first six months of life.

It's to protect these young babies from ending up in hospital that it's being given.  But you wouldn't know it from Manx Radio.

To be fair, this incoherence may not really be the fault of Manx Radio but of Manx Care's communications team.  There's about six of them - it's impossible to find out details or even how to contact them or who they are.  And as usual the more 'communications professionals' involved, the less useful information is available.

Well at least they have found a use for the Private Patients' Wing.

I wonder whether they are creating more traffic at Noble's Hospital to prove a point to the Braddan Roundhouse users?

See you do need your own access road.

I may park outside the Roundhouse and walk across to the Private Patients' Wing for my vaccination!

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

They were using the new home at Governers Bridge for the last lot.   What is happening regarding this building it is lovely inside it seems crazy to leave it empty.

The residents moved in. It’s fully occupied and operational as a care home.

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Well at least they have found a use for the Private Patients' Wing.

I wonder whether they are creating more traffic at Noble's Hospital to prove a point to the Braddan Roundhouse users?

See you do need your own access road.

I may park outside the Roundhouse and walk across to the Private Patients' Wing for my vaccination!

Might be better using the cavernous and empty roundhouse.

On 9/6/2024 at 2:35 PM, Fred the shred said:

So Roger if you are over 79 you are not eligible sounds strange but true.    At least we still get our free TV license, fingers crossed, how a cut off decision is made would be interesting.

This puzzled me as well and I wasn't any wiser after reading the UK adviceThis letter from a retired pharmacist was the only thing I could find to discuss the over-80 cut off and she came to the conclusion that it was to do with cost as well.  As she says the US advice makes no mention of an upper cut-off, the CDC just "recommends all adults ages 75 and older get an RSV vaccine [and] all adults ages 60-74 who are at increased risk of severe RSV disease".

But even doing it on cost grounds makes no sense, because the justification is that it reduces expensive hospitalisation in the elderly, so vaccinating the over-80s first would make more sense, given they are more likely to be hospitalised and it's more expensive to do so.  It clearly hasn't been thought through and you get the impression that they wanted to be seen doing 'something' and decided to spend to budget it an arbitrary manner.