MUA replacing old car charging points

Tinpot

I had a meeting with Manx Utilities a few years back when they were installing a couple of their EV chargers, I told them they were installing the wrong type of charger as it could only be used with a particular app, and they should be fitting ones that took contactless card payments, as no one wants loads of different payment apps on their phones. Glad to hear they have finally taken notice.

17 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Again tax payers including those on low income paying for the rich to have their electric charge points upgraded 

Uninformed comment of the day. EVs have come down massively in price and are cheap to run as well. Mine’s worth about 7K now and you can get even cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Uninformed comment of the day. EVs have come down massively in price and are cheap to run as well. Mine’s worth about 7K now and you can get even cheaper. 

Are they cheaper because manufacturing costs are much lower, or are they cheaper because fewer people want them? And if they don't want them, why not?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Are they cheaper because manufacturing costs are much lower, or are they cheaper because fewer people want them? And if they don't want them, why not?

People don’t want them because the range is rubbish.

Cost of a new battery is more than the car is worth.

Insurance is higher than a ICE vehicle.

Software is old and clunky and won’t be maintained long term.

Nobody in their right mind would spend 7k on an EV that must be around 10 years old.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Nobody in their right mind would spend 7k on an EV that must be around 10 years old.

So many wrongs in one post you almost deserve a prize. Range is massive on newer ones. Batteries last a long, long time and many manufacturers give generous guarantees on top. Insurance is nuts in general now. Software comment doesn’t even make sense in any form. I’m not selling mine as it’s eight years old but runs like new. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

5 hours ago, Tinpot said:

33 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

So many wrongs in one post you almost deserve a prize. Range is massive on newer ones. Batteries last a long, long time and many manufacturers give generous guarantees on top. Insurance is nuts in general now. Software comment doesn’t even make sense in any form. I’m not selling mine as it’s eight years old but runs like new. 

We are talking about used ones, and you started it.

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

They're cheaper because they're shite. In common with most modern vehicles to be fair. 

It's all very well saying you can get on for £7K as if that makes them affordable.

The point is, you can buy a perfectly serviceable ICE car for around £500 and with minimal maintenance which you can do yourself, keep it for several years.

EV'S are still outside the reach of most people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

But the Govt does provide electricity. 

Have you tried asking them to install a new supply recently? To a new build or something.

Just make sure you're sitting down when they give you the quote. It's often touch and go whether or not to knock the house down and cut your losses.

If they do go ahead, they fit the supply complete with traditional meter! I've seen them do this three times recently. Presumably they return a couple of weeks later and replace it with a smart one.