Connectivity

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Do the local coach service have the capacity to service the need???? Even very occasionally?

That was my point really.  There do seem to be a few ToursIOM coaches doing stuff, but are there enough?  Perhaps the midway is for them to service the cruise business but with support from BV.

If previous posts on here are correct, BV sought to squeeze them out.  Perhaps they can work together until it's established that it is a viable business.  

• Like 2

If the English coachs were not allowed to come, service left to local suppliers, then that might make a difference to the local supply???

Usually 3  4 coaches on the north prom, could Manx services cover that?

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

If the English coachs were not allowed to come, service left to local suppliers, then that might make a difference to the local supply???

Usually 3  4 coaches on the north prom, could Manx services cover that?

Probably not as they will be packages and  the operators won't want to hand over to local providers, I suspect. 

However, when I see these coaches touring the island, I do wonder at how much genuine local information is provided. 

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

That seems to happen with some operators, usually those whose passengers come by air.  But most coach holidays are sold as door-to-door packages and that means travelling on the same coach all (or nearly all) the way through.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

However, when I see these coaches touring the island, I do wonder at how much genuine local information is provided. 

Again looking at reviews and the like, some use local guides but others rely on using the same driver every time (maybe year on year) who will build up local knowledge and stories.  How true it all is is another matter, but it seems to satisfy the punters.

8 hours ago, cissolt said:

They can pressure the department to prioritise public services over cruise ships?  

Cruise ships were serviced by qualified driver office staff according to the press release.

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

Ah, the good old days, with Vader

Ha Ha Ha

Yes, whatever happened to Vader....

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Cruise ships were serviced by qualified driver office staff according to the press release.

But that is just an indicator surely of just how bad the driver situation is.

Not only were regular services cut/lost but they also had to draft in office staff/managers to cover the additional cruise ship commitments.

Just how understaffed are BV driver ranks? Perhaps there could be a comparison published between driver numbers and management numbers, for instance.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That seems to happen with some operators, usually those whose passengers come by air.  But most coach holidays are sold as door-to-door packages and that means travelling on the same coach all (or nearly all) the way through.

Again looking at reviews and the like, some use local guides but others rely on using the same driver every time (maybe year on year) who will build up local knowledge and stories.  How true it all is is another matter, but it seems to satisfy the punters.

My mum's just been over on a coach trip, only reason is that they pick her up from her door and she doesn't have to fret about getting on the boat by herself etc. The driver didn't have much local knowledge though as she got to show off and  give him directions a couple of times (much to her delight).

I was led to believe that Tours IOM were going to be taking over all the Cruise ship business so not sure why they weren't doing these (and the one I saw today), maybe a driver shortage for them too?

14 minutes ago, manxchester said:

I was led to believe that Tours IOM were going to be taking over all the Cruise ship business so not sure why they weren't doing these (and the one I saw today), maybe a driver shortage for them too?

Well the problem is that both will be looking to the same people for doing casual driving, so if someone is unavailable for one they will be for the other.  Last Saturday's probably was done by Tours, but it was a small ship and they probably only need one coach and the two private hires I saw were other groups.

But, as others have said, the basic problem is they're not paying drivers enough and not treating them with enough respect.  And that's a problems that's been building for some time.

• Like 3