Connectivity

13 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

If the rumours are to be believed, there's quite a big bit of the island that went out through the back gate on that job.

There's probably a little bit of the island in every construction project in NW England over the last few years 😀

Not that nonsense again. 😂

58 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Well if it's any help I can tell you what type of contract it was. A very one sided on.

I've worked in construction a long time, but I've yet to see a contract in which the price can triple, the job can be finished years after the agreed completion date, and the full cost of the job or details of the snagging list can be kept from the people who are paying for it.

I've no idea who the main contractor was on this job, but I can fully understand why they were reluctant for it to end.

at the very least we should have had our own quantity surveyors on the job and a  clerks of works to make sure we were getting the job done properly  and for the agreed cost , this seems to be where every isle of Man government construction job  falls down   , nobody looking after the taxpayers interests !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

at the very least we should have had our own quantity surveyors on the job and a  clerks of works to make sure we were getting the job done properly  and for the agreed cost , this seems to be where every isle of Man government construction job  falls down   , nobody looking after the taxpayers interests !

Yes. It would be a cunning plan in theory. But we don't have any quantity surveyors or clerks of works. We employed someone to do it on our behalf. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I agree, and how the costs escalated is jaw dropping, but there will be negotiations, and making the details public will not help.  You can only assume that the terms were not as water tight in our favour as they should have been.  Also, there will be quite a few parties involved, all of them trying to dodge liability. 

Like I have said many times. The terms never favour the client. Always the contractor.

People seem to be forgetting. All the expensive work in the half tide dock was done under the ground to shore the whole thing up. By the time all that money was spent there was only enough left for some cheap cafe structure bolted on top of the dock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Connectivity to be discussed at Government Conference next Tuesdayand Wednesday...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/government-to-set-out-strategic-ambitions-for-connectivity/

Though I'm hearing Bus Vannin maybe are now one of the Conference sponsors...so there'll likely be no conference on Tuesday but three conferences on Wednesday.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Very possibly, either way hardly a justification. 

I remember there was something about how this was a great opportunity to have a little bit of the island in the centre of Liverpool. 

When you say it was the shoppers and football fans, it reads like you're shifting blame from the government. And I fully know you're not, but I still bristle a bit!

Anyway, I voted for Hooper, who stood on my doorstep and told me he wouldn't blindly vote through more money for this ridiculous project....and I'm not the only one. Off topic I know, but I don't see how he can stand again.

Edited by hoopsaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hoopsaa said:

When you say it was the shoppers and football fans, it reads like you're shifting blame from the government. And I fully know you're not, but I still bristle a bit!

Anyway, I voted for Hooper, who stood on my doorstep and told me he wouldn't blindly vote through more money for this ridiculous project....and I'm not the only one. Off topic I know, but I don't see how he can stand again.

No, definitely not shifting the blame from government.  Just pointing out that, yet again, a populist approach has influenced a very significant project for the island.  

Many people might have liked to keep the ability to shop and watch football in Liverpool.  The job of government is to point out that that is no longer realistic but this is what can be done. 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, definitely not shifting the blame from government.  Just pointing out that, yet again, a populist approach has influenced a very significant project for the island.  

Many people might have liked to keep the ability to shop and watch football in Liverpool.  The job of government is to point out that that is no longer realistic but this is what can be done. 

I'll have to consider the populist approach angle,  my general view is that those who consider themselves the elite decide what they think is best for us, and govern that way. Interesting. 

It's nice to have the ability to watch football in Liverpool,  unfortunately my lot haven't got the ability to play football in Liverpool,  although it looks like Everton may do the decent thing 😀

14 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

If the rumours are to be believed, there's quite a big bit of the island that went out through the back gate on that job.

There's probably a little bit of the island in every construction project in NW England over the last few years 😀

What?  What are you on about?  This post makes no sense at all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tinpot said:

What?  What are you on about?  This post makes no sense at all

They built something in Liverpool, it cost long millions more than it should have done. They don't really know why.

Having worked in and around Liverpool for a number of years, I could take an educated guess. Rumours within the industry over there seem to support it.

They don't even know how much it cost FFS.